Linmodems under SuSE 9.2
I promise that I have tried this under Redhat9, Mandrake and SuSE 9.1, but only SuSE 9.2 worked!
I have an Intel 536ep based PCI internal 56k Modem. I always feared this thing like the plague because of the hours I spent breaking Linux distro's with it's drivers, but I finally got it working in SuSE 9.2 Pro.
I was amazed that SuSE detected it AND installed a package from Intel that was supposed to be its drivers, setting it up as /dev/536ep0. This did not work, however. Dialling with KInternet would not work, it simply would not dial. Here is how I did it:
1. I removed the modules and things that YaST had installed, removing /dev/modem with them.
2. I downloaded intels drivers, and installed them following the included instructions in the Intel readme. To do this, I required GCC, MAKE and the kernel source to be installed from YaST.
3. I grepped and ln'ed a bit in the dev folder to determine that the device had, indeed been created as /dev/536ep. There was another link from /dev/modem.
4. I opened YaST and opened the network devices -> modems tab.
5. I tried to configure the detected 536ep device, but it threatened to reinstall the Intel-536EP module that I knew did not work, so I canceled it and added the device as 'other', specifying /dev/536ep as the device.
6. I completed the YaST setup for the device and the ISP, and clicked the KInternet button to invoke the dialler.
7. I almost died! It dialled and connected!
Wow, it works.