Well, I figured I couldn't be the only one wanting the old kde back. There were a lot of problems getting kde3 running smoothly again, so hopefully this can help someone.
1. Use the 1-click installer provided here: http://en.opensuse.org/KDE3
2. You will need to install hal, kpowersave, and a networkmanager client afterwards. I personally feel nm-applet works the best. It is in the NetworkManager-gnome package.
3. After installing hal and kpowesave, kpowersave will probably complain that hal isn't running. So:
4. That didn't work for me, so if you get something like this:
brian-linux:~ # hald --daemon=no
Runner started - allowed paths are '/usr/lib/hal:/usr/lib/hal/scripts:/usr/bin'
** (process:16455): WARNING **: Failed to add monitor on '/etc/hal/fdi/preprobe': No such file or directory
** (process:16455): WARNING **: Failed to add monitor on '/etc/hal/fdi/information': No such file or directory
** (process:16455): WARNING **: Failed to add monitor on '/etc/hal/fdi/policy': No such file or directory
Run started hald-generate-fdi-cache (60000) (0)
! full path is '/usr/lib/hal/hald-generate-fdi-cache', program_dir is '/usr/lib/hal'
13:31:58.237 [E] create_cache.c:551: Cannot scan '/etc/hal/fdi/preprobe': No such file or directory
13:31:58.238 [E] create_cache.c:709: Error generating fdi cache
pid 16458: rc=1 signaled=0: /usr/lib/hal/hald-generate-fdi-cache
*** [DIE] mmap_cache.c:di_rules_init():70 : Unable to open cache /var/cache/hald/fdi-cache
Then run this to get hald to start:
5. The window decorator is likely going to the the ugly default one. Install some kde3-kwinstyle-* packages.
6. The systray area is likely to be crushed up and ugly. Copy the files from the attachment to /opt/kde3/lib(64)/ . Just remove the .txt ending and it's a zip archive.
7. Be sure to lock any modified packages afterwards in yast. right-click package -> Protected -- Do Not Modify.
8. The sound should work straight out-of-the-box. So I would strongly suggest you NOT
to touch anything if it works fine. Linux sound = trouble.
That should be all! If there's anything else wrong, tell me and I can try to help. Long live kde3!