[HOWTO] - Install MSPaint Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp Service Pack 3) in Wine 1.5.5
I typically use GIMP, or some other Linux Application, to access or view files of images scanned
at 600 DPI, but sometimes these applications just refuse to do what I need.
I had some R/C Plane plans scanned at 600 DPI and the size in pixels was 21600 x 36000 (21.4M)
1BB (bit black). Several of the files were burnt to CDR's and named Temp000398 thru Temp000404.
I tried GIMP, and I couldn't view or open the files. Image Viewer, or any other Application I had
tried didn't work either. I needed to find out what information was contained in each file.
I finally tried MS Paint 5.1 and it worked great. My next step was to get MS Paint running in Wine 1.5.5.
Instructions for copying Windows XP - MS Paint to Slackware 14.0
MSPaint Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp Service Pack 3)
1. Copy the following files from a Windows XP (SP3) Install to a USB Flash Drive.
The files you need to copy are located at C:\Windows\System32\ (Files needed are...)
2. SEARCH your Windows Hard Drive for GdiPlus.dll. (Mine was Version 6.0.3264.00 from Allen Bradley = Rockwell)
but I also found several, and 5.1.3102.5512 was one of the choices if you can't locate 6.0.3264.0
Copy one file to the USB Flash Drive too! (Adds TIF, GIF, JPG, PNG Format Support)
3. Copy (Drag & Drop) the following Folders from a Windows XP (SP3) Install to a USB Flash Drive
ON YOUR LINUX COMPUTER:
4. Create a Folder named MSPaint at .wine/drive_c/Program Files/
(You can substitute a ? for the SPACE in Program?Files for copying.)
Permissions are: drwxr-xr-x 2 larry larry 4096 Jun 18 12:42 MSPaint
5. Copy (Drag & Drop) mspaint.exe to .wine/drive_c/windows/Program Files/MSPaint
Change the permissions of MSPaint to -rwxr--r-- 1 larry larry 343040 Apr 13 2008 mspaint.exe
6. Copy (Drag & Drop) the remaining seven *.dll files to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/
Copy (Drag & Drop)the Folder AppPatch to .wine/drive_c/windows/
Copy (Drag & Drop) the Folder Fonts to .wine/drive_c/windows/
6. CREATE A SLACKWARE DESKTOP ICON:
Before you create the launcher use the following Terminal command to see that it will function.
Command wine "/home/youruserlogin/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/MSPaint/mspaint.exe"
Comment Microsoft XP Paint Ver 5.1
Change ICON as needed from PNG files below, or use the Wine Icon - Wine.svg.
I used Icon Entry7.png. I copied this png to /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/
with permissions of:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 674 Jun 18 12:56 Icon Entry_1.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2015 Jun 18 12:56 Icon Entry_4.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3766 Jun 18 12:56 Icon Entry_7.png
7. Double click on XP-MSPaint to test Paint ver 5.1
When MSPaint opens, be sure to Click on TEXT in the Left Menu, then draw a Box for the TEXT INPUT,
then go to the top menu and select VIEW TEXT BOX to allow for changing the Font selection and size.
This will allow you to easily select the Text you want.
8. When a printer has been installed......To change Print from Portrait to Landscape,
go to Printer settings and change it there versus the opening the Print Setup screen selection.
Things that do not work properly are:
1. Printing - When opening a LARGE BMP File, and trying to Preview, or print to paper.
REF: (Posting #30)
Tested with Wine 1.01 and Ubuntu 9.10 03-03-2010
Tested with Wine 1.1.42 & Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 05-19-2010
Tested with Debian 6.0 & Wine-1.1.42
Tested with Slackware 14. 0 & Wine-1.5.5 10-13-2012
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 AM.|