Thanks for all the replies.
- M-audio Delta 1010 could be my next soundcard , I have an m-audio Dman 2044 now but it only works with windows 98
I will sell or keep it together with my old 400 euro official cubase vst 3.7 , damn such a waste of cash)
- My Midisport 2x2 is supported for linux but it needs the firmware loader ... could this mean that the midi drivers aren't as good as for hardware that doesn't need firmware loaders . Or is the result the same and are these firmware loaders just a different way of installing the hardware ?
- Because I want to build an excellent working machine , probably Gentoo is still the best choice , no ?
I'm a real Linux newbie so I'm not shure about that . A special multi-media tailored distro would give results faster probably . But , I'm more interested in building (compiling?)the fastest OS , that's why I'd choose Gentoo ...
- Would it be a good idea to buy a scsi harddisk ? And does it have special requirements for the motherboard ?
- Is the Matrox G450 graphics cards still a good choice or is it too old ?
I've seen them on e-bay for 20us$ (32 or 64 MB memory, two monitor outputs)
- And so on, I have questions about every piece , I'll make webpage to keep an overview . "Freakrush's new Software DAW"
Probably after me , the same questions will be asked over and over again .
If anyone knows a good site about building like this ? Yeah shure, linuxquestions.org ;-)
- I need at least 8 analog balanced inputs , 8 outputs or less and two midi in+outputs . Also I'd like to use the DAW for realtime effects and/or synths (like VST plugins) .
- I also have a modded xbox . I'm dreaming of using it as a realtime visual effects box , midi controlled . This would be spectacular for live shows , if i could write a miditrack for visual effects on the xbox . But that's a dream for the future ...