LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linuxquestions-org-member-intro-24/)
-   -   I'm obsessed with faulty hardware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linuxquestions-org-member-intro-24/im-obsessed-with-faulty-hardware-575617/)

decartes 08-08-2007 08:02 AM

I'm obsessed with faulty hardware
 
Hi

I'm Peter, A mathematician from the Scottish Borders only I sold out and became a Software Engineer instead. I'm only writing this so I can post elsewhere on the forum.

I'm a die hard Linux fan, served my apprenticeship programming the Commodore Amiga and quickly moved in to BSD and Linux when they got swallowed up by Gateway2000. I'm proud to say I never owned a computer with Windows on and never shall. I was a big fan of Mandrake and keep going back to it, until Mandriva that is, Same with SUSE, wont touch it now that Novel are trying to make it commercial which goes against the GPL ethos and my nature. I'm old enough to remember when ALL software was open source.

Anyway my obsession (well the one that does not involve mini skirts or animals that is) is finding hardware known not to work on Linux and making it work (just managed to make a Belkin Wirless PCIMCIA card with RT2500 chip set work on a V.old IBM Thinkpad - well chuffed).

So anybody with hardware issues, give me a shout, I'm always looking for a challenge.

Matz 08-08-2007 09:54 AM

Ok, I have a challenge for you, if you like: A Lexmark x5450 all-in-one printer (printer-scanner-fax). In linuxprinting.org it is said to be a paperweight. It is reported that someone got it working as a printer using the x5400 driver but not as a scanner nor as a fax.....

marozsas 08-08-2007 10:03 AM

May be you can start with a Lexmark e120n laser printer. It has a driver from the LexMark but, guess what ? It does not works at all. It not integrates with cups and even in a non-cups installation it does not work.

good luck and welcome !

decartes 08-09-2007 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marozsas
May be you can start with a Lexmark e120n laser printer. It has a driver from the LexMark but, guess what ? It does not works at all. It not integrates with cups and even in a non-cups installation it does not work.

good luck and welcome !

OK dont like lexmarks one bit, cheap to buy, toner is real expensive.

If all else fails you may try downloading TurboPrint. But first I'd try this.

1. I reckon it will work with a driver called pxlmono - you can get the .ppd file from http://svn.ghostscript.com/ghostscri...ps/pxlmono.ppd

2. Save the PPD file in the directory /usr/share/cups/model/
NOTE if this directory does not exist there will be a directory somewhere ending in
/cups/model/

2. To ensure CUPS is working properly do the following


step1
# killall -HUP cups
# /etc/init.d/cupsys restart
# Above may be /etc/init.d/cupsd or /etc/rc.d/init.d/cupsd

step2
# cd /usr/bin
# wget http://www.linuxprinting.org/foomatic-rip
# wget http://www.linuxprinting.org/foomatic-gswrapper
# chmod 755 foomatic-rip foomatic-gswrapper
# ln -s /usr/bin/foomatic-rip /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip

step3
# cd /tmp
# wget http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/printing/align.ps
# wget http://www.linuxprinting.org/downloa...g/alignmargins
# chmod 755 alignmargins
# su
# ./alignmargins

step4
# lp -d foo1 -o PageSize=Letter /etc/motd

Now your message of the day should come out of the printer in leter fromat


HAPPY PRINTING :study:

marozsas 08-09-2007 06:42 AM

Ohh, that was too easy man ! It worked in the first shot ! I never imagine lexmarkE120n is a HP LaserJet Series PCL 6 compatible printer, thanks to the pxlmono.ppd driver !
This is the best hint a get in months ! The company I work for has several lexE120n around and I was never able to print to them from my linux desktop until this morning !

And what about cellular phones ? I have a nokia 6111 that synchronize only with the nokia software running on windows. Do you know something about how to make it work in linux ? Just to download the photos in the unit will be great.

anyway, thanks a lot for the pxlmono hint.

decartes 08-09-2007 09:20 AM

Nokia - No worries
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by marozsas
Ohh, that was too easy man ! It worked in the first shot ! I never imagine lexmarkE120n is a HP LaserJet Series PCL 6 compatible printer, thanks to the pxlmono.ppd driver !
This is the best hint a get in months ! The company I work for has several lexE120n around and I was never able to print to them from my linux desktop until this morning !

And what about cellular phones ? I have a nokia 6111 that synchronize only with the nokia software running on windows. Do you know something about how to make it work in linux ? Just to download the photos in the unit will be great.

anyway, thanks a lot for the pxlmono hint.


Should be ok, I had the same problem with Mobile phone tools from Motorola and I used to work for Telfort Telecom in Amsterdam writting those Mobile phone apps. Very difficult to make it dial gprs and connect to the net and all that but just for photos should be straightforward. On my Motarola funnily enough I mounted it as a memory stick and I was able to read/write to it via USB.

Leave it with me I'll have a think

:study:

3dm-pro 08-18-2007 10:41 AM

Still stays an x5470 problem. Looks like it's not possible to make it work even as a printer only on all distributions! As I can see only suse users can do this...

odnan 01-20-2008 04:45 PM

Decartes;
I have another challenge for you.How do I installed Lexmark X5270 on Ubuntu Ver 7.10 Desktop.
I understand that Lexmark devices,ve got a very poor Linux support. Producers don't provide
drivers at all. Can you help me on this. It wiil deeply be appreciatied.

ODNAN

decartes 01-21-2008 04:04 AM

Lexmark x5200 Series drivers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by odnan (Post 3029494)
Decartes;
I have another challenge for you.How do I installed Lexmark X5270 on Ubuntu Ver 7.10 Desktop.
I understand that Lexmark devices,ve got a very poor Linux support. Producers don't provide
drivers at all. Can you help me on this. It wiil deeply be appreciatied.

ODNAN

Hmm Not supposed to be possible BUT:

Have you tried the driver for the lexmark x5250 it might work since these printers are all part of the lexmark x5200 series You can get a sample driver here http://www.lexmark.com/US/cms/pages/...2.0-3.i386.rpm.

You may try downloading the Lexmark Developer Kit from here http://www.lexmark.com/lexmark/seque...bmit1=download

Hope that helped -:)

odnan 01-22-2008 11:49 PM

Decartes
I click on the two url you listed on your reply.
I could not connect to the HTTP Server. Access
was denied.
The web page would list "XINE" in blue with the
words in the upper left corner saying "Connecting
HTTP Server Buffering "0" with the Zero blinking.
X5250llpddk-2-0-3-i386 I believe this is the Lexmark
kit that was trying to download the server would let
me connect. Sorry for the delay. Is there another
method to D/L this file.
Odnan


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 AM.