suse 9.3 no (wired or wireless) intrernet connection
hello, please don't get mad if this topic has already been answered, i did my homework and found no solution.
i have installed SUSE 9.3 on my sony vaio laptop and i cannot connect (wireless or otherwise) to the internet. i have a realtek ethernet card (eth0) and a Linksys WPC54GS wireless card.
this is what i did to set up the wireless:
- during install i configured a wireless card (wlan0)
- i had yast install ndiswrapper
- i installed the windows drivers for the card (ndiswrapper -i <driver location>)
- ndiswrapper -l tells me that both drivers are installed and hardware is present
- activated ndiswrapper with modprobe ndiswrapper
- created the alias in /etc/modprobe.conf with ndiswrapper -m, and got the confirmation that the alias was created
- did iwlist scann, and got under wlan0 a list of wireless lans with their ssid, etc.
now, that tells me that the cared is recognized, and drivers are in place.
NOW, what do i do next? note: at home i have wireless with WPA - TKIP encription, at work i have open wireless - i tried to connect in both places without success.
- /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-wlan0 (settings for home wireless):
NAME='Ethernet Network Card' <-- this is set up as wlan0
WIRELESS_ESSID='<my ssid here>'
WIRELESS_WPA_PSK='my WPA pass here'
- /etc/sysconfig/network/wireless -> i left this one unchanged
- at boot time, i get the message (both for eth0 and wlan0) that "interface could not be set up"
- after i reboot, i need to modprobe ndiswrapper again in order to have wlan0 recognized
i am relatively new to linux, please spell out for me what i need to do next. i want both wireless and etherned to be able to connect to the internet. help highly appreciated.