my previous thread is here
i've followed the advise given in the howto, so i'll explain what i've done so far:
* first i've installed the correct driver with the ndiswrapper
* i've loaded ndiswrapper with "modprobe ndiswrapper"
* now i've set the right ESSID, network key, and mode with iwconfig:
- iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed
- iwconfig wlan0 key restricted <wep key>
- iwconfig wlan0 ESSID <my essid>
* now i fired up the device: ifconfig wlan0 up
all this worked fine, cause when i type ifconfig i can see my routers MAC, and i see the speed at 11mbit/s.
now for the howto that was advised:
* i've started network-config and added a new device
* selected wireless device and selected eth7 with a 3com driver
* gave my ESSID, wep key, channelnumber, mode, dhcp enabled etc.etc
* and completed the wizard.
now i've looked for the file "ifcfg-eth7" in various directories (/etc/sysconfig/networking/ ; /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/devices/ ; etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/profiles/default ) and renamed this file to "ifcfg-wlan0" and changed the content of every file until they match my settings.
now when i start up network-config again, i see that the device eth7, is now called wlan0, but when i fire it up, i get an error.
after some checking i saw that the hardwaretab still thinks it is device eth7 and for the driver still 3com is selected.
so i think here is the problem, but i can't change the driver or hardware device, how should i solve this?
if i forgot something else, please let me know, cause it's been almost 2 weeks now and still haven't got the thing to work!!
b.t.w. also did a complete reinstall before the above actions last night again, so it is a completely fresh system..
any help is highly appreciated