Linux - Wireless NetworkingThis forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I have a SMC 2209 USB to ethernet adapter that is not working. When i plug the device into my Linux box that is running Fedora 9 the device is seen by the system but never given a eth name.
In the dmesg log i get the follow error
asix: probe of 1-4:1.0 failed with error -110
It gives me the vendor ID and product ID and the correct manufactor, but will not assign it a eth#. I have been trying to figure this out for a while now and can't seem to find what i am doing wrong. Do i need to setup some rules in udev? does the driver even work?
Actually, yes, I know what is going on with this adapter.
That particular model of USB Ethernet adapter has its model number flashed incorrectly...
Because of this, the asix driver thinks it is a different kind of device and is loading the wrong settings... so it times out with -110.
And unfortunately SMC only noticed it when we reported it to them. They are working on a flash ROM for it now, but I do not know when it will be done or if they'll even post an update to it on their website.
There's two ways (three counting ndiswrapper) of fixing it. One: hack the asix drive to work for the model number that this is being identified as. Or two... pester SMC until they give you a flashing utility to fix their buggy hardware.
You can also get it working with ndiswrapper. Use the windows driver and it works okay.
Edit: I believe earlier 2209's worked fine... but it seems that the newer product number for the USB ETH 2209 is having this problem
That seems correct. I have an older SMC here that seems to work just fine. They seem to both have the same VenderID and ProductID. I was wondering what I would need to change to hack the driver to find the new SMC correctly? I am looking at the asix.ko file in a hexeditor and don't really see where i can change this around. If you could point me in the right direction that would be great.
Well, what you'll need to do is get the source file (asix.c) from your particular kernel source.
I'm not sure what exactly my coworker changed to force the driver to work, but if you can read C code, then you should be able to find the place where it errors out and have it run the correct functions for the product id it should be set to.
I was able to get it to work with ndiswrapper as well... compile and install ndiswrapper. Install the .inf windows file with ndiswrapper and then do a modprobe of ndiswrapper and it comes up as wlan0, I believe, which can always be renamed. It works this way... but... ndiswrapper, is well, using a windows driver. :-/
If that's too difficult and if ndiswrapper is out of the question, you could always try pestering SMC for a fix!
I will take a look at asix.c file and see what i can find. I would rather do it that way and not use the windows driver. I have also called to pester SMC and there tech support says that there is not even a driver available for the device. A lot of help they where. I am going to pester them a different way to see if i can get someone that knows what they are talking about. I do like the fact that the old adapter works out of the box and that there is really no change between the two but some packaging.
Anyway off to look at some C code will let you know what i figure out.
I looked into the asix.c driver code and could really find where i need to change it to make it work. So i went the ndiswrapper route. It does seem to work. It calls the devive wlan# but it works. I also tried the pestering of SMC and the tech person that i talked with said that there are no drivers for the device at all. So i guess if you get a SMC 2209 and want drivers for it don't ask SMC for them.
Thanks for the help. At least it works even though i have to use the windows driver to get it working.