"Set Encode" (8B2A) error while trying to add WEP key
Linux - Wireless NetworkingThis forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I'm glad you got it working, but it is too bad you had to give up on Gentoo. To be honest, I don't think it was a kernel configuration problem, but then again, I don't have any prime suspects either. You could always try tweaking the Kubuntu kernel and see if that gets you the audio and boot performance you need.
I had the same problem with my gentoo laptop when I upgraded to 2.6.20-gentoo-r7 kernel. My wifi is: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection and I use ipw3945 driver.
Now it works fine, the problem was, that I had to compile all the IEEE80211 stuff into the kernel (not as modules), ie this: <*>, not <M> option.
Thanks for posting that bit of info. Prior to compiling into the kernel did you notice if the modules were all loading? The reason I'm asking is that I've always been compiling the ieee80211 stuff as modules since I switch between bcm43xx and ndiswrapper and I've never had any trouble. However, this could easily fall into the "Your milage may vary" dept.
The appropriate modules were loaded as modules, but I made them part of the kernel ie. * vis a vis M. The only thing I didn't do was copy over the system map file. There was no such explanation in the Gentoo handbook, so I had never done it, but I never found a good guide to do it on the internet, so I didn't bother.
I'm fairly certain I'm going to switch to Ubuntu Studio when it comes out though. I'm very happy with the simplicity of kubuntu, but it lacks the performance for audio I need.
INTERESTING FACT: without the RT kernel, Gentoo's latency got to 42, with Kubuntu, it was 43ms. Not that bigga difference.