LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Wireless Networking (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-wireless-networking-41/)
-   -   OpenSuse 11.4 WPA/WPA2 - not authenticating - password correct (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-wireless-networking-41/opensuse-11-4-wpa-wpa2-not-authenticating-password-correct-882916/)

The_JinJ 05-26-2011 05:27 PM

OpenSuse 11.4 WPA/WPA2 - not authenticating - password correct
 
Hi

I have recently installed OpenSuse 11.4 and I'm attempting to get the wireless working.

lspci
Code:

02:04.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
I have updated the firmware so it is functioning, detecting network etc

When I try to connect (using Network Manager) is asks for the WPA key which I enter correctly (checked a million times :))

Seems to have an issue with authenticating
Code:

May 26 22:23:18 linux-iv0x NetworkManager[18567]: <info> Activation (wlan0) starting connection 'CrocketandTubs'
May 26 22:23:18 linux-iv0x NetworkManager[18567]: <info> (wlan0): device state change: 3 -> 4 (reason 0)
May 26 22:23:18 linux-iv0x NetworkManager[18567]: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) scheduled...
May 26 22:23:18 linux-iv0x NetworkManager[18567]: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) started...
May 26 22:23:18 linux-iv0x NetworkManager[18567]: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) scheduled...
May 26 22:23:18 linux-iv0x NetworkManager[18567]: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) complete.
May 26 22:23:18 linux-iv0x NetworkManager[18567]: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) starting...
May 26 22:23:18 linux-iv0x NetworkManager[18567]: <info> (wlan0): device state change: 4 -> 5 (reason 0)
May 26 22:23:18 linux-iv0x NetworkManager[18567]: <info> Activation (wlan0/wireless): access point 'CrocketandTubs' has security, but secrets are required.
May 26 22:23:18 linux-iv0x NetworkManager[18567]: <info> (wlan0): device state change: 5 -> 6 (reason 0)
May 26 22:23:18 linux-iv0x NetworkManager[18567]: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) complete.
May 26 22:23:20 linux-iv0x NetworkManager[18567]: <info> (wlan0): device state change: 6 -> 9 (reason 7)
May 26 22:23:20 linux-iv0x NetworkManager[18567]: <warn> Activation (wlan0) failed for access point (CrocketandTubs)
May 26 22:23:20 linux-iv0x NetworkManager[18567]: <info> Marking connection 'CrocketandTubs' invalid.
May 26 22:23:20 linux-iv0x NetworkManager[18567]: <warn> Activation (wlan0) failed.
May 26 22:23:20 linux-iv0x NetworkManager[18567]: <info> (wlan0): device state change: 9 -> 3 (reason 0)
May 26 22:23:20 linux-iv0x NetworkManager[18567]: <info> (wlan0): deactivating device (reason: 0).

Connection fails as you can see.

Router is a Netgear WNR2000v2 and key is set as WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]

My key has no special characters but does have an @

Any ideas what is going wrong?

TB0ne 05-26-2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_JinJ (Post 4368030)
Hi
I have recently installed OpenSuse 11.4 and I'm attempting to get the wireless working.

lspci -
Code:

02:04.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
I have updated the firmware so it is functioning, detecting network etc. When I try to connect (using Network Manager) is asks for the WPA key which I enter correctly (checked a million times :)) Seems to have an issue with authenticating. Connection fails as you can see.

Router is a Netgear WNR2000v2 and key is set as WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]
My key has no special characters but does have an @
Any ideas what is going wrong?

No, but I can guess, given the reports that have floated around, and my recent experience with loading 11.4.

Apparently, the KDE Network Manager is broken...yet, bizzarely, enabled by default. You have to go into Yast->Software Management, and install the plasmoid-networkmanagement. *THAT* was broken in previous releases, but now works. Yast will complain about having to un-install the network management applet, but confirm the install. Once done, add the network plasmoid onto your desktop (wherever you'd like), and it should work fine from there.

The_JinJ 05-26-2011 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TB0ne (Post 4368041)
No, but I can guess, given the reports that have floated around, and my recent experience with loading 11.4.

Apparently, the KDE Network Manager is broken...yet, bizzarely, enabled by default. You have to go into Yast->Software Management, and install the plasmoid-networkmanagement. *THAT* was broken in previous releases, but now works. Yast will complain about having to un-install the network management applet, but confirm the install. Once done, add the network plasmoid onto your desktop (wherever you'd like), and it should work fine from there.

Thank you! Working a treat now :)

TB0ne 05-27-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_JinJ (Post 4368066)
Thank you! Working a treat now :)

Great to hear...and that is the MOST bizzare thing I've ever encountered. openSUSE *KNOWS* it's broken...even posts about it on their site, but left it the 'default' network manager in the distro. I kind of expected better from them.

lshantz 10-19-2011 06:56 PM

NO!
 
Nooooo!!! Don't do it! This is the second time I have read this. I made the mistake of believing it. IT cost me a couple of hours to undo the "fix". It totally hosed my networking and I had to go back to the old fashioned ifconfig for awhile. This does NOT fix it apparently in all circumstances. I caution the user, if they consider these instructions to be prepared to have an almost totally borked networking. If it works, great! Watch carefully to what it says it is automatically removing, because you will need to put it back. If it borks it, remove plasmoid-networkmanagement. Then you have to go back and install knetworkmanager-kde!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TB0ne (Post 4368041)
No, but I can guess, given the reports that have floated around, and my recent experience with loading 11.4.

Apparently, the KDE Network Manager is broken...yet, bizzarely, enabled by default. You have to go into Yast->Software Management, and install the plasmoid-networkmanagement. *THAT* was broken in previous releases, but now works. Yast will complain about having to un-install the network management applet, but confirm the install. Once done, add the network plasmoid onto your desktop (wherever you'd like), and it should work fine from there.


TB0ne 10-20-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lshantz (Post 4502935)
Nooooo!!! Don't do it! This is the second time I have read this. I made the mistake of believing it. IT cost me a couple of hours to undo the "fix". It totally hosed my networking and I had to go back to the old fashioned ifconfig for awhile. This does NOT fix it apparently in all circumstances. I caution the user, if they consider these instructions to be prepared to have an almost totally borked networking. If it works, great! Watch carefully to what it says it is automatically removing, because you will need to put it back. If it borks it, remove plasmoid-networkmanagement. Then you have to go back and install knetworkmanager-kde!

If you say so, sure. Bear in mind this post was back in May, and the OP posted that things were working fine after doing it.

openSUSE reported this as a bug on their own forums, and SUGGESTED this method of fixing it. The absolute worst that can happen, is that you'll have to use ifconfig/ifup to bring up your network, and go through YAST and re-install knetworkmanager. If it took you a couple of hours to undo this, I have NO IDEA what you did, since it takes less than five minutes to undo/redo it all.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.