LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking > Linux - Wireless Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Wireless Networking This forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 08-15-2006, 08:32 AM   #1
zonemikel
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2006
Posts: 94

Rep: Reputation: 15
Arrow One Cable One Wifi isp how to combine for speed on fedora core 5


Im using fedora core 5 and im also hosting 4 web sites on a normal cable modem i get 5mbs download and only ~484upload, you see the problem already im sure, after i get too many people on my site (often) it bogs down real quick.

One of my clients has offered to share his wifi connection. So i guess my question is this.
How could i have two nic cards in the linux box one with my cable connection and one with the wifi connection from across the street and make them both work together so that they increase my upload and download.

How do i make them work together to get a faster connection? I have switches and routers and all kinds of stuff if i need them. So far im just brainstorming

thanks in advance
zonemikel

Last edited by zonemikel; 08-15-2006 at 10:02 AM.
 
Old 08-15-2006, 01:40 PM   #2
chrwei
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Posts: 24

Rep: Reputation: 15
well, unless the 2 connections come from the same ISP, and terminate into the same client equipment, they cannot be bonded to increase your bandwidth on a single connection (and the cable co isn't going to do this anyway, they'd rather sell you a buisiness connection with 1MB+ upload).

what you can do is just spread it out some by setting up your DNS server to hand out the IP's "round robin". in Bind, this is as simple as adding the hostname 2 times with different IP address. with each direct dns query it will hand out a different IP address. so, you can have some users using your connection and some using your neihbors, but there is no way to load balance it so that neither connection gets overloaded.
 
Old 08-15-2006, 02:00 PM   #3
MrUmunhum
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Mt Umunhum, CA, USA
Distribution: Debian/ Fedora
Posts: 409

Rep: Reputation: 33
Re: One Cable One Wifi isp how to combine for speed on fedora core 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonemikel
Im using fedora core 5 and im also hosting 4 web sites on a normal cable modem i get 5mbs download and only ~484upload, you see the problem already im sure, after i get too many people on my site (often) it bogs down real quick.

One of my clients has offered to share his wifi connection. So i guess my question is this.
How could i have two nic cards in the linux box one with my cable connection and one with the wifi connection from across the street and make them both work together so that they increase my upload and download.

How do i make them work together to get a faster connection? I have switches and routers and all kinds of stuff if i need them. So far im just brainstorming

thanks in advance
zonemikel
I have not used it yet but I think BGP can help you. Do a web search to get more info.
 
Old 08-15-2006, 02:39 PM   #4
zonemikel
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2006
Posts: 94

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
thanks chrwei, i had thought of that .. but it would be a real pain to link parts of my pages to one ip and parts to other so maybe half the pictures load on one ip and half on another, it would take a long time it is possible yes but itz more trouble than itz worth.
Mr.Um I looked at that border gateway protocol it seems interesting but im not quite sure if thats what im looking for (will it do two connections or just two networks?)
Something else i was looking at was a load balancing switch.. some more info all the nics would be in the same machine. there hasto be some way, think if you had two 10mbs nics couldnt you put them both in the same machine and combine them in some way to get 20mbs ?
 
Old 08-15-2006, 11:03 PM   #5
jim-j
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Norfolk NE
Distribution: Fedora Core 6
Posts: 24

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonemikel
thanks chrwei, i had thought of that .. but it would be a real pain to link parts of my pages to one ip and parts to other so maybe half the pictures load on one ip and half on another, it would take a long time it is possible yes but itz more trouble than itz worth.
No need to change links. Simply assign one IP form each ISP to your webserver, make sure that your webserver is listening on both IPs and then set up RRDNS like chrwei said. Your website doesn't change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonemikel
Mr.Um I looked at that border gateway protocol it seems interesting but im not quite sure if thats what im looking for (will it do two connections or just two networks?)
BGP isn't for you. It's only for businesses with at least a class C and justification for geting a AS number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonemikel
Something else i was looking at was a load balancing switch.. some more info all the nics would be in the same machine. there hasto be some way, think if you had two 10mbs nics couldnt you put them both in the same machine and combine them in some way to get 20mbs ?
Even an old 10Mb NIC will outperform most Internet connections. If you're concerned about your NIC get a 100Mb one (which is also dirt cheap) and fuhgettabout it (even Gb NICs aren't that much anymore). You could run two NICs, each with an IP from a different ISP, if that's simpler for you. Performance wise I doubt you'll see any difference.
 
Old 08-16-2006, 12:47 PM   #6
zonemikel
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2006
Posts: 94

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thanks again, just goes to show im in over my head im still working on making the connection but when i do make it how would i go about setting up RRDNS ? When i set the ip's i go to yahoo and tell it to point at my ip (which changes sometimes) then i go to my router(linksys) and tell it to foreward http:80 to my webserver and thats it. When i do get the connection ill be hooking another nic into the webserver more than likely connected to a different router with a different ip. Would i hafto go into the second router and tell it to point port:80 traffic to my webserver also ? and you said just put one ip on my yahoo thing right ? so it would go to that first ip and then hit my router and hit my webserver .. im sorry could you explain to me as if i was as stupid as i look ?

just to give you a idea this is what i have to change every time my isp changes my ip .. if anyone has a idea how to fix this let me know
Type: Source: Destination: Actions:
A Record *.galvestonchatroom.com 69.22.57.123 Edit | Delete
A Record galvestonchatroom.com 69.22.57.123 Edit | Delete
A Record mail.galvestonchatroom.com 69.22.57.123 Edit | Delete
A Record www.galvestonchatroom.com 69.22.57.123 Edit | Delete
CNAME Record *.galvestonchatroom.com Yahoo! Hostname Edit | --
i hafto change all those numbers one by one and this is just one of about 5 that i hafto change !! itz a real pain !!

Last edited by zonemikel; 08-16-2006 at 12:53 PM.
 
Old 08-16-2006, 10:50 PM   #7
zonemikel
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2006
Posts: 94

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Ok i might have found something i looked into load balancing things and found this on
ebay
D Link DI LB604 Load Balancing
One of the main differentiators the DI-LB604 has from most routers is its dual WAN ports. With the ability to connect up to two Internet connections, the total available bandwidth doubles in capacity and therefore provides a tremendous increase in network efficiency and user productivity.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Activate USB WiFi on startup on Fedora Core 4 xxrsc Linux - Wireless Networking 1 11-26-2005 08:30 PM
WiFi on Fedora core 3 Laptop e_chandrakant Linux - Laptop and Netbook 0 06-27-2005 04:32 AM
Fedora Core 3 and WiFi Gowcra Fedora 8 06-17-2005 09:19 AM
Cannot connect to internet through ISP LAN in Fedora Core 2 tlee7977 Linux - Newbie 2 06-26-2004 12:06 AM
how can I speed Fedora core 2 up aaronruss Fedora 4 06-11-2004 11:53 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration