Why, thanks for the offer, globul.
I got it working in reasonably short order, using the MadWiFi drivers and a little investigation.
It turned out that installing the drivers and the card was actually pretty straightforeward - it was the setting up of the network that had me stuck in the mud for a bit. Once I discovered the wizzard in the MCC, that went easily also.
Hangdog's advice was good. I didn't have to panic, 'cause I knew I could get other card to function eventually.
BTW, I've been finding 2005 LE much better than 10.1. Two bugs that bothered me (the bug that made it difficult to update the menus and the bug with the desktop icons for mountable devices - involves supermount, I think), are gone. There's more of a feeling of solidity that is a sign of good engineering.