I've got a network problem that I think (and hope) has a simple solution. I'm not a newbie to linux, but a newbie to troubleshooting networks since the distro network setups have always worked for me in the past. Thank you in advance for any help.
I have a Fedora Core 4 box which cannot be accessed from other computers on the local network. It doesn't respond to pings, ftp requests, ssh, smbmounts... etc. It connects to the internet just fine and can ping the other machines.
Here's what I know:
- Firewall is disabled.
- SELinux is disabled.
- I'm pinging by IP address, so it isn't a DNS problem
- The problem is NIC independent... same behavior on eth0 or ath0 (wireless card)
- The pings are actually reaching my computer (I can see them using ethereal) but it isn't responding to those pings.
- Once I ping another host, the other host is magically able to to recognize this computer, but only until that computer disconnects from the network (they're all laptops).
- Computer can ping itself just fine... not just 127.0.0.1, but 192.168.2.2 as well.
Unfortunately, this is a home desktop. I will not be able to respond to requests for more info except for mornings and evenings. Don't let that keep your from responding, though.