Linux - Wireless NetworkingThis forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I'm just started using Fedora 3 on a Thinkpad 600E and ran into this problem. At home I have a Linksys WAP11 802.11b access point that uses WEP. The Thinkpad uses a Senao 2511 CD+ EXT2 802.11b PCMCIA card. At installation, Fedora 3 recognized the card and configured it correctly. Everything worked great. My ifcfg-eth0 looked like this:
I then connected the laptop to a public wireless network that used DHCP and no WEP. I made a copy of my original ifcfg-eth0 and named it ifcfg-eth0-original. I then changed the settings of ifcfg-eth0 to the following:
Everything worked great. I connected to the public network and got an address with no problem. When I went back home I deleted the ifcfg-eth0 file and renamed ifcfg-eth0-original to ifcfg-eth0.
The card connected to the access point but wouldn't associate even though I was using the same parameters that I used successfully before. Interestingly, I can't ping the access point (192.168.0.1) but I can ping the Ethernet card that the access point is plugged into (192.168.0.5).