LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking > Linux - Wireless Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Wireless Networking This forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-25-2007, 11:45 PM   #1
ENDI1111
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Posts: 93

Rep: Reputation: 15
broadcom 43xx wireless question???


OK...so reading some of these threads isn't a whole lotta help here. I have a HP Pavillion dv6000 laptop wit that broadcom wireless card. Now I have ndiswrapper installed on my system...What are the next steps I should do to try and get a wireless connection w/ blue light on, going? It also looks like my wireless is on eth1
 
Old 09-26-2007, 12:44 AM   #2
ENDI1111
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Posts: 93

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
I've downloaded the bcm43xx-fwcutter-006.tar.bz2 file...needin some help on where to go from this point?
 
Old 09-26-2007, 08:30 AM   #3
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,791
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 414Reputation: 414Reputation: 414Reputation: 414Reputation: 414
Quote:
Now I have ndiswrapper installed on my system.
There may be some confusion here. Ndiswrapper and bcm43xx are two distinct drivers and have nothing to do with each other. You can have them both installed on one machine, but if you try to use them both at the same time, you've got problems. The fwcutter program you downloaded is for bcm43xx only, so if you are trying to get ndiswrapper to work, you don't need it.
 
Old 09-26-2007, 08:55 PM   #4
ENDI1111
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Posts: 93

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangdog42 View Post
There may be some confusion here. Ndiswrapper and bcm43xx are two distinct drivers and have nothing to do with each other. You can have them both installed on one machine, but if you try to use them both at the same time, you've got problems. The fwcutter program you downloaded is for bcm43xx only, so if you are trying to get ndiswrapper to work, you don't need it.
Ok...so I have deleted both... I am needing to figure out which one will work best to get my Broadcom wireless working. Fyi...I have Fedora core 6 on my system.
 
Old 09-27-2007, 08:32 AM   #5
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,791
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 414Reputation: 414Reputation: 414Reputation: 414Reputation: 414
The real deciding factor here is what chipset you've got in your wireless card. Most of them work decently with bcm43xx, but the 4318 has some significant issues and it is probably best done with ndiswrapper.

By the way, there is no harm in having both bcm43xx and ndiswrapper installed on the same machine (I've got them both on my laptop). You just can't have both modules loaded at the same time because they will conflict.
Quote:
Fyi...I have Fedora core 6 on my system.
You have my condolences...... Fedora is a decent distro but it has two rather significant issues in my opinion. First, their stock kernels are compiled with settings that can make ndiswrapper difficult to impossible to use. However, it really depends on what Windows driver you need to use and many people do successfully use ndiswrapper under Fedora. The second issue is that Fedora is a gigantic beta test and they routinely do things that break systems. For example, the recently release FC7 dropped bcm43xx and replaced it with the experimental b43 driver, which requires different firmware than bcm43xx. This caught a LOT of people by surprise.
 
Old 09-27-2007, 08:06 PM   #6
ENDI1111
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Posts: 93

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangdog42 View Post
The real deciding factor here is what chipset you've got in your wireless card. Most of them work decently with bcm43xx, but the 4318 has some significant issues and it is probably best done with ndiswrapper.

By the way, there is no harm in having both bcm43xx and ndiswrapper installed on the same machine (I've got them both on my laptop). You just can't have both modules loaded at the same time because they will conflict.


You have my condolences...... Fedora is a decent distro but it has two rather significant issues in my opinion. First, their stock kernels are compiled with settings that can make ndiswrapper difficult to impossible to use. However, it really depends on what Windows driver you need to use and many people do successfully use ndiswrapper under Fedora. The second issue is that Fedora is a gigantic beta test and they routinely do things that break systems. For example, the recently release FC7 dropped bcm43xx and replaced it with the experimental b43 driver, which requires different firmware than bcm43xx. This caught a LOT of people by surprise.
OK...what is your recommendation?
 
Old 09-28-2007, 08:30 AM   #7
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,791
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 414Reputation: 414Reputation: 414Reputation: 414Reputation: 414
That kind of depends on what you want to use your computer for. The *buntus have a large following for a good reason, they are generally a decent desktop distro. There is lots of help available and it is unlikely that you'll run into a problem that hasn't been seen before. However, the *buntus are heavily dependent on GUI tools, which means you don't really get your fingers dirty with the inner working of Linux.

If you do want to really get your hands dirty, there is none better to learn than Slackware. It takes the complete opposite philosophy from Fedora in that Slackware doesn't include stuff that isn't tested and stable. That can make it seem a touch out of date at times, but I've never had a Slackware release bust any of my systems. That said, Slackware doesn't hold your hand in any way shape or form. You have to resolve your own software dependencies and you may end up compiling a fair bit of software from source code. That said, the Slackware community is strong and exceedingly helpful.

If you liked Fedora, you might look at CentOS, which is repackaged RHEL. Of course it will suffer from the same problems as RHEL, and it isn't really aimed at the desktop. You also might look at Mandriva or Suse if you like Fedora as they use a similar package system.
 
Old 09-28-2007, 08:58 PM   #8
ENDI1111
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Posts: 93

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangdog42 View Post
That kind of depends on what you want to use your computer for. The *buntus have a large following for a good reason, they are generally a decent desktop distro. There is lots of help available and it is unlikely that you'll run into a problem that hasn't been seen before. However, the *buntus are heavily dependent on GUI tools, which means you don't really get your fingers dirty with the inner working of Linux.

If you do want to really get your hands dirty, there is none better to learn than Slackware. It takes the complete opposite philosophy from Fedora in that Slackware doesn't include stuff that isn't tested and stable. That can make it seem a touch out of date at times, but I've never had a Slackware release bust any of my systems. That said, Slackware doesn't hold your hand in any way shape or form. You have to resolve your own software dependencies and you may end up compiling a fair bit of software from source code. That said, the Slackware community is strong and exceedingly helpful.

If you liked Fedora, you might look at CentOS, which is repackaged RHEL. Of course it will suffer from the same problems as RHEL, and it isn't really aimed at the desktop. You also might look at Mandriva or Suse if you like Fedora as they use a similar package system.
If you do, and can read this...thankx for the info. I am a bit new to linux. Yet I have been craving to really get into it for years. I spent 4 years in Seattle, Wa. and one of my personal goals was to stay away from computers...as well as TV, and the internet. Now I have my own laptop...and I am pretty much learning as I go...or even trying to pick back up on the knowledge that I have known since a little boy.

Elvis
aka ENDI1111
 
Old 10-01-2007, 08:53 AM   #9
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,791
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 414Reputation: 414Reputation: 414Reputation: 414Reputation: 414
Those are certainly good, attainable goals. What I found useful as I started out on Linux was setting up my laptop to dual-boot Windows and Linux. As I gradually learned Linux, I booted into Windows less and less often. I still have it on my laptop, but it is for a few rare programs where for reasons outside of my control, I have to use a Windows program.
 
Old 10-14-2007, 01:37 PM   #10
david_ross
Moderator
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Scotland
Distribution: Slackware, RedHat, Debian
Posts: 12,047

Rep: Reputation: 65
Please post your thread in only one forum. Posting a single thread in the most relevant forum will make it easier for members to help you and will keep the discussion in one place. This thread is being closed because it is a duplicate.

Please continue here:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...967/page3.html

Last edited by david_ross; 10-14-2007 at 01:39 PM.
 
  


Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DISCUSSION: How to get Broadcom 43xx Wireless (AirForce54g) card to work (proven in Ubuntu Dappe Drake) secretservgy LinuxAnswers Discussion 6 05-31-2010 12:47 PM
Broadcom Wireless (BCM4306) Wireless problems: modprobe ndiswrapper freezes HP Laptop shthap3ns Linux - Hardware 11 02-11-2007 01:53 PM
Broadcom 43xx Debian kcpaige89 Linux - Wireless Networking 2 12-28-2006 09:07 PM
Getting Broadcom 43xx chipset driver to work in Slack 10.2 jmbrink26 Slackware 16 09-23-2006 08:17 AM
Kernel 2.4/Test26/Broadcom 43xx Interdictor Linux - Wireless Networking 3 07-13-2006 03:50 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration