I finally figured it out myself finally - I have outlined the steps for the benefit of others. My system is a HD install of Knoppix version 3.3 dated 19/11/03
1. Log in as root
2. Download the driver file for the ADM8211 chipset from http://www.admtek.com.tw
3. Unzip the contents of the TAR file to the hard drive (on the drive where Knoppix is installed).
4. Open the ADM8211 folder (which is the content of the TAR file). Right-click and select the option OPEN TERMINAL HERE. This will open a terminal window in the ADM8211 folder.
5. Make a soft link linux-2.4 of kernel source in /usr/src/ This is not as complicated as it sounds. Just type "ln -s linux-2.4.20 linux-2.4" (without the quotation marks)
6. Type "make"
7. The file 8211.o is the ADM8211 linux driver. so to install it, type "insmod -f 8211.o". Ignore the error messages about tainting the kernel.
8. Now run "wlcardconfig" and set up the card parameters (like SSID, key etc)
9. Run "netcardconfig" and select DHCP or manual configuration of the network as appropriate.
I am a newbie and had to figure it out all by myself. Please post feedback on this forum if iit works for you (or otherwise)