LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Virtualization and Cloud
User Name
Password
Linux - Virtualization and Cloud This forum is for the discussion of all topics relating to Linux Virtualization and Linux Cloud platforms. Xen, KVM, OpenVZ, VirtualBox, VMware, Linux-VServer and all other Linux Virtualization platforms are welcome. OpenStack, CloudStack, ownCloud, Cloud Foundry, Eucalyptus, Nimbus, OpenNebula and all other Linux Cloud platforms are welcome. Note that questions relating solely to non-Linux OS's should be asked in the General forum.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
rleong
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question VMware ESXi and UBUNTU SERVER 9.04 CONFIG NETWORK CARDS


We have install VMware ESXi and Ubuntu server with 1 network card.
It works fine we have several software installed using this network card for our intranet 172.17.X.X.

Now I want to activate the other network card with 201.220.X.X I went to the /etc/network/interface and made the changes to this file following the intruction that are posted at

https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/serverg...iguration.html

How ever when I restart the network interfaces both card go down and I lloose contanct with the server.

Has any one tried it?
 
Old 05-22-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
nikwax
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2009
Posts: 25

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleong View Post
We have install VMware ESXi and Ubuntu server with 1 network card.
It works fine we have several software installed using this network card for our intranet 172.17.X.X.

Now I want to activate the other network card with 201.220.X.X I went to the /etc/network/interface and made the changes to this file following the intruction that are posted at

https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/serverg...iguration.html

How ever when I restart the network interfaces both card go down and I lloose contanct with the server.

Has any one tried it?
I'm not quite clear what you mean here.

I assume that you have VMware ESXi running on a physical server, and that you have a VM running Ubuntu 9.10. Next you want to add another NIC to the VM, an a different subnet? Is this correct?

How many NICs on the physical server? How many NICs on the VM? What is your vSwitch configuration like?

With a clearer description I may be able to help.
 
Old 05-23-2010, 11:40 PM   #3
rleong
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Posts: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Yes it's correct

Your are right, with what you assume. I have 2 NIC's on the physical server. The VM can see both cards. When I changed the Ubuntu configuration,
file /etc/network/interface, restart the network the problem start. when a ifconfig command is given it respondes that both NICīs are up. It seem like a routing problem because the cards donīt function correctly.

I not familiar with "What is your vSwitch configuration like", where can I see that ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikwax View Post
I'm not quite clear what you mean here.

I assume that you have VMware ESXi running on a physical server, and that you have a VM running Ubuntu 9.10. Next you want to add another NIC to the VM, an a different subnet? Is this correct?

How many NICs on the physical server? How many NICs on the VM? What is your vSwitch configuration like?

With a clearer description I may be able to help.
 
Old 05-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
nikwax
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2009
Posts: 25

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleong View Post
Your are right, with what you assume. I have 2 NIC's on the physical server. The VM can see both cards. When I changed the Ubuntu configuration,
file /etc/network/interface, restart the network the problem start. when a ifconfig command is given it respondes that both NICīs are up. It seem like a routing problem because the cards donīt function correctly.

I not familiar with "What is your vSwitch configuration like", where can I see that ?
Well, if you have ESXi, there should be no direct connection between the physical NICs in the server (aka pNICs) and the NICs in the VM (aka vNICS). The vSwitch acts as a virtual switch between the two.

Check out Virtual Networking Concepts here:

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/virt...g_concepts.pdf

However note that in ESXi there is no service console (vswif) - otherwise it's all good.

Last edited by nikwax; 05-24-2010 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Explanatory note
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vmware esxi benefits salimshahzad Linux - Virtualization and Cloud 3 05-12-2010 04:12 PM
Bash- :cannot execute binary file (Ubuntu VM on ESXI server) maas187 Linux - Virtualization and Cloud 17 04-03-2010 09:25 AM
Multimedia application shared with vmware Esxi server harim Linux - Virtualization and Cloud 1 11-09-2009 03:12 PM
Networking doesn't work for CentOS 5 within VMware ESXi RCbeta Linux - Networking 3 07-01-2009 11:06 AM
Kernel Panic with Kernel 2.6.27.5-41.fc9.x86_64 on VMWare ESXi Server d.zinzius Fedora 0 11-21-2008 07:21 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration