LinuxQuestions.org
Support LQ: Use code LQ3 and save $3 on Domain Registration
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Virtualization and Cloud
User Name
Password
Linux - Virtualization and Cloud This forum is for the discussion of all topics relating to Linux Virtualization and Linux Cloud platforms. Xen, KVM, OpenVZ, VirtualBox, VMware, Linux-VServer and all other Linux Virtualization platforms are welcome. OpenStack, CloudStack, ownCloud, Cloud Foundry, Eucalyptus, Nimbus, OpenNebula and all other Linux Cloud platforms are welcome. Note that questions relating solely to non-Linux OS's should be asked in the General forum.

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 06-26-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
sokha
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Posts: 46

Rep: Reputation: 15
Virtualbox could not map shared folder from CentOS host


I have Virtualbox installed in CentOS 5.5 and an Ubuntu as Guest OS. I am having a problem of sharing host folder to guest.

I have done these already:
1. (HOST): VBoxManage sharedfolder add "ubuntu_vpn" -name "media" -hostpath "/home/username/media"
2. (GUEST): VBoxLinuxAdditions is already installed in Guest OS successfully
3. Reboot Guest OS
4. I try to use both commands:
Code:
sudo mount -t vboxsf media /home/username/shared
and
Code:
sudo mount.vboxsf media /home/username/shared
Those two commands give the same error:
Code:
mounting failed with the error: Protocol error
Any solution?
 
Old 06-27-2010, 01:00 AM   #2
mzsade
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Distribution: Linux Mint 9, Crunchbang Linux 10
Posts: 77

Rep: Reputation: 20
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Vi.../SharedFolders

Last edited by mzsade; 06-27-2010 at 01:08 AM.
 
Old 06-27-2010, 02:07 AM   #3
sokha
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Posts: 46

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzsade View Post
I followed that but got the same error message as shown in troubleshooting.
 
Old 06-27-2010, 03:17 AM   #4
mzsade
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Distribution: Linux Mint 9, Crunchbang Linux 10
Posts: 77

Rep: Reputation: 20
If you have already added your username to the vboxusers group, via "sudo adduser <yourusername> vboxusers", then i am lost. Very sorry to have removed your question from the zero replies list without resolving it.
 
Old 06-28-2010, 12:09 AM   #5
sokha
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Posts: 46

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzsade View Post
If you have already added your username to the vboxusers group, via "sudo adduser <yourusername> vboxusers", then i am lost. Very sorry to have removed your question from the zero replies list without resolving it.
Yes, the username I am running those command is already in vboxusers
Code:
/usr/sbin/usermod -a -G vboxusers username
 
Old 06-28-2010, 03:03 AM   #6
mzsade
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Distribution: Linux Mint 9, Crunchbang Linux 10
Posts: 77

Rep: Reputation: 20
Again i apologize, i suggest you go directly to the source, virtualbox.org, register and login, then register with their forum and post the question there. One of my tricky issues,(nothing similar was resolved there). All the better if someone else here is able to solve it here.
 
Old 06-28-2010, 04:37 AM   #7
sokha
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Posts: 46

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzsade View Post
Again i apologize, i suggest you go directly to the source, virtualbox.org, register and login, then register with their forum and post the question there. One of my tricky issues,(nothing similar was resolved there). All the better if someone else here is able to solve it here.
Thanks anyway, I just registered and post the problem there.
 
Old 06-29-2010, 05:00 AM   #8
rsciw
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Essex (UK)
Distribution: Home: Debian/Ubuntu, Work: Ubuntu
Posts: 206

Rep: Reputation: 44
I came across this too at some point, when I set up shared directories on a CentOS guest with Ubuntu host.

added this to the /etc/rc.local in the guest and don't have a problem since:

Code:
mount.vboxsf -o uid=500 -o gid=500 <sharename> <sharedirectory>
where uid and gid are the IDs of the user who owns the share on the guest.

did you also run
Code:
/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
on the host?

iirc that was necessary too
 
Old 07-13-2010, 02:41 PM   #9
douglasawh
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsciw View Post
I came across this too at some point, when I set up shared directories on a CentOS guest with Ubuntu host.

added this to the /etc/rc.local in the guest and don't have a problem since:

Code:
mount.vboxsf -o uid=500 -o gid=500 <sharename> <sharedirectory>
where uid and gid are the IDs of the user who owns the share on the guest.

did you also run
Code:
/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
on the host?

iirc that was necessary too
Did that. Fedora host and Ubuntu guest. Any other suggestions?
 
  


Reply

Tags
failed, mount, virtualbox


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Samba setup - Windows 7 host, CentOS Machine using VirtualBox twaddlac Linux - Server 1 07-15-2010 01:11 PM
[SOLVED] Samba setup - Windows 7 host, CentOS Machine using VirtualBox twaddlac Linux - Networking 2 06-23-2010 03:09 PM
Virtualbox CentOS Guest can not connect to Internet from XP Host sokha Linux - Virtualization and Cloud 2 03-30-2010 11:28 PM
WinXP VM on VirtualBox CentOS Host - no response of host during install?! ascfu Linux - Software 1 12-10-2009 12:45 PM
virtualbox shared folder phantom_cyph Linux - Software 10 08-09-2007 01:14 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration