LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Virtualization and Cloud (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-virtualization-and-cloud-90/)
-   -   Enabling wireless on guest Windows XP on VirtualBox on a LAPTOP (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-virtualization-and-cloud-90/enabling-wireless-on-guest-windows-xp-on-virtualbox-on-a-laptop-851487/)

TheIndependentAquarius 12-20-2010 10:47 PM

Enabling wireless on guest Windows XP on VirtualBox on a LAPTOP
 
Host OS: OpenSuse 11.2
Guest OS: Windows XP

and all this is on a HP laptop

Question is: Do I need to have some specific software/drivers w.r.t the laptop for enabling the wireless there?
or
the following link is enough for me?

TobiSGD 12-20-2010 10:55 PM

Sorry, I have problems understanding your post. Do you try to enable the laptops wireless-card in the guest OS?
If so, why? The Windows in the VM should already be connected to the net using a virtual network device (standard is an Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop), regardless of the type of network card on the host.

TheIndependentAquarius 12-20-2010 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobiSGD (Post 4198419)
Do you try to enable the laptops wireless-card in the guest OS?
If so, why? The Windows in the VM should already be connected to the net using a virtual network device (standard is an Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop), regardless of the type of network card on the host.

thanks for bothering,

I have no idea about networkings, I didn't want to mess anything so I have not enabled anything yet, thats what I am trying to figure out: What to enable?

TobiSGD 12-20-2010 11:24 PM

Has your host OS a connection to your local network/the Internet?
Then your guest OS should also be connected to your network/the Internet, if you have not changed the standard settings. So nothing to enable or disable to get the network working.

TheIndependentAquarius 12-20-2010 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobiSGD (Post 4198455)
Has your host OS a connection to your local network/the Internet?
Then your guest OS should also be connected to your network/the Internet, if you have not changed the standard settings. So nothing to enable or disable to get the network working.

Well, NO :(, the host Suse, doesn't have a "wireless" connection setup, it works only when the telephone cable is attached!

TobiSGD 12-20-2010 11:37 PM

Sorry, now I am confused. If you only have a wired connection, why are you trying to set up wireless in the guest OS?

TheIndependentAquarius 12-20-2010 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobiSGD (Post 4198467)
Sorry, now I am confused. If you only have a wired connection, why are you trying to set up wireless in the guest OS?

I am sorry :redface: I didn't mention clearly that we have the wireless connection and the cable connection which is/are working properly on a different laptop with Windows XP. Is there anything else you want to know?

TobiSGD 12-20-2010 11:49 PM

If you want to connect the guest OS to the network/Internet using the wireless adapter, you have to set it up on the host OS, AFAIK. The connection will be automatically shared with the guest OS.
If you are using an USB wireless adapter, and the non-OSS version of Virtualbox it may be possible to use the adapter in the guest OS, but I never tried that, because I use the OSS-version, and the wireless-adapter in my notebook is using PCI, not USB.

TheIndependentAquarius 12-20-2010 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobiSGD (Post 4198475)
If you want to connect the guest OS to the network/Internet using the wireless adapter, you have to set it up on the host OS, AFAIK. The connection will be automatically shared with the guest OS.

:banghead: If I had been successful in establishing a wireless on Suse, I wouldn't have installed the VirtualBox and XP stuff!! http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...11-2-a-826325/

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobiSGD (Post 4198475)
If you are using an USB wireless adapter, and the non-OSS version of Virtualbox it may be possible to use the adapter in the guest OS, but I never tried that, because I use the OSS-version, and the wireless-adapter in my notebook is using PCI, not USB.

I don't know :( but I'll figure out all about these PCI, USB adaptors and OSS things.

TobiSGD 12-21-2010 12:09 AM

Sorry to hear that. It would be done in less than 5 minutes to configure a BCM4312 card in Debian, but I don't know much about openSuse, so I can't help you with that.

To get USB-adapters working in a guest OS in Virtualbox, you must use the proprietary binary version, the open source versions don't support that. To check if your wireless card is connected via USB just run lsusb in a terminal and look if it shows up.

TheIndependentAquarius 12-21-2010 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobiSGD (Post 4198489)
Sorry to hear that. It would be done in less than 5 minutes to configure a BCM4312 card in Debian, but I don't know much about openSuse, so I can't help you with that.

Thanks for your concern, can the wireless be configured easily in Slackware too? If yes, then I'll be throwing away SUSE all together!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobiSGD (Post 4198489)
To get USB-adapters working in a guest OS in Virtualbox, you must use the proprietary binary version, the open source versions don't support that. To check if your wireless card is connected via USB just run lsusb in a terminal and look if it shows up.

I'll let you know the results tomorrow. Thanks.

TheIndependentAquarius 12-21-2010 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobiSGD (Post 4198489)
To get USB-adapters working in a guest OS in Virtualbox, you must use the proprietary binary version,

I do have the proprietary version of VirtualBox downloaded from 3rd link here:http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobiSGD (Post 4198489)
To check if your wireless card is connected via USB just run lsusb in a terminal and look if it shows up.

I think the last item is the one which we are looking for:
Code:

anisha@linux-dpjj:~> lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 04f2:b016 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd VGA 30fps UVC Webcam
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 08ff:2580 AuthenTec, Inc. AES2501 Fingerprint Sensor
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 045e:00cb Microsoft Corp.
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 003: ID 03f0:171d Hewlett-Packard Wireless (Bluetooth + WLAN) Interface [Integrated Module]

Whats next now?

TobiSGD 12-21-2010 09:56 PM

Sorry, as I mentioned before I am using the OSS version, so I can't help with this. But maybe this can help, or maybe someone other here knows about using USB in Virtualbox.

catkin 12-21-2010 09:57 PM

Does VirtualBox list the Hewlett-Packard Wireless (Bluetooth + WLAN) Interface in either the configuration GUI (under USB -> Device Filters -> + ) or on the Devices -> USB Devices list of the host's window for the guest display? If not all is not lost, you may be able to attach the device to the VM at the command line using VBoxManage usbfilter <ID details>. The VBoxManage command with no options prints usage help including the syntax of VBoxManage usbfilter

TheIndependentAquarius 12-21-2010 09:57 PM

TobiSGD,

thanks to you, I shall look into it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 AM.