LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Virtualization and Cloud
User Name
Password
Linux - Virtualization and Cloud This forum is for the discussion of all topics relating to Linux Virtualization and Linux Cloud platforms. Xen, KVM, OpenVZ, VirtualBox, VMware, Linux-VServer and all other Linux Virtualization platforms are welcome. OpenStack, CloudStack, ownCloud, Cloud Foundry, Eucalyptus, Nimbus, OpenNebula and all other Linux Cloud platforms are welcome. Note that questions relating solely to non-Linux OS's should be asked in the General forum.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-19-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
2handband
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Alexandria, Minnesota
Distribution: Slackware 13.1
Posts: 809

Rep: Reputation: 96
Best VM for Linux?


I've been using VirtualBox for several years to run Windoze on a Linux host. I'm in a position where I'm going to be installing that VM on a new box and am considering my virtualization options. Does anyone have any recommendations? What are the relative advantages/disadvantages of KVM, Xen, etc?

One thing... if I have to pay money for it, it's out. I think that probably disqualifies VmWare Server.
 
Old 11-19-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
acid_kewpie
Moderator
 
Registered: Jun 2001
Location: UK
Distribution: Gentoo, RHEL, Fedora, Centos
Posts: 43,378

Rep: Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963
vmware server is free, but a bugger to get going normally, on many distros. Personally I recommend KVM, currently architecting a project to deploy over 1000 KVM VM's. Works well, integrated directly into fedora and redhat, easy to set up on other distros.
 
Old 11-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
H_TeXMeX_H
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269
I also recommend KVM. Xen is good too, but it takes some setup.

I've also tried Virtualbox, but it lacks some on performance and features.
 
Old 11-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
2handband
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Alexandria, Minnesota
Distribution: Slackware 13.1
Posts: 809

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 96
KVM sounds good. Will I have any trouble with USB support, or sharing folders between host and guest?
 
Old 11-19-2010, 10:38 PM   #5
vzxen
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Posts: 126

Rep: Reputation: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by acid_kewpie View Post
vmware server is free, but a bugger to get going normally, on many distros. Personally I recommend KVM, currently architecting a project to deploy over 1000 KVM VM's. Works well, integrated directly into fedora and redhat, easy to set up on other distros.
Chris can you let me know in networking terms is Xen Better or KVM.
Xen has VIF support and works amazingly.
I couldnt find that for KVM. I agree KVM is better but its bad on the Networking Side because you got to play with ifcfgs to work on it.
Please let me know if i am wrong
 
Old 11-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
EDDY1
Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Oakland,Ca
Distribution: wins7, Debian wheezy
Posts: 5,089

Rep: Reputation: 448Reputation: 448Reputation: 448Reputation: 448Reputation: 448
2handband & H TeXMeX H You guys have some good resource under your sig
I'm not going to hijack the thread but I'm almost ready to do my VM
 
Old 11-20-2010, 05:07 PM   #7
Chuck56
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: Colorado
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 421

Rep: Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2handband View Post
KVM sounds good. Will I have any trouble with USB support, or sharing folders between host and guest?
Possibly. KVM is CLI driven unless you also install some type of virt manager. You can enable USB and share folders but it's not point and click.
 
Old 11-21-2010, 03:44 PM   #8
acid_kewpie
Moderator
 
Registered: Jun 2001
Location: UK
Distribution: Gentoo, RHEL, Fedora, Centos
Posts: 43,378

Rep: Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by vzxen View Post
Chris can you let me know in networking terms is Xen Better or KVM.
Xen has VIF support and works amazingly.
I couldnt find that for KVM. I agree KVM is better but its bad on the Networking Side because you got to play with ifcfgs to work on it.
Please let me know if i am wrong
I found that as KVM can use the native stack on the host it's so so much simpler. Anything you can do on a linux network, you can provide to the guests as their network. Simple. You don't have to play with network configs in the slightest, and TBH I thought that the libvirt side of things was used extensively under Xen too, so would be the same config tools and files to achieve much of this... Personally I DO use my own networking on the host, as libvirt bridges run STP by default and other things I don't like, but in a simple system you don't need to use anything other than pointy clicky virt-manager to configure everything up to a point.

Last edited by acid_kewpie; 11-21-2010 at 03:46 PM.
 
Old 11-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #9
acid_kewpie
Moderator
 
Registered: Jun 2001
Location: UK
Distribution: Gentoo, RHEL, Fedora, Centos
Posts: 43,378

Rep: Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck56 View Post
Possibly. KVM is CLI driven unless you also install some type of virt manager. You can enable USB and share folders but it's not point and click.
Yes it is! Tools like virt-manager do exactly this. Libvirt isn't KVM of course, but would be seen to be so by someone just starting out...
 
Old 11-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #10
acid_kewpie
Moderator
 
Registered: Jun 2001
Location: UK
Distribution: Gentoo, RHEL, Fedora, Centos
Posts: 43,378

Rep: Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963
One thing that's driving me nuts at work is an institutional view that VMware ESX is the only viable option for virtualization. Most notably because they have a site license for ESX, and they struggle massively to accept that as virt becomes more and more of a standard offering of a OS / processor, the way in which the virtualization should be seen is increasingly more like the choice of memory allocation, disk IO drivers or something... just part of what the operating system is. It's not a special service any more, and VMware certainly know that, but far too many of their customers don't, and they still think the fact that they can give lots of money to VMware and get back various amounts of installation media and have the explicitly have specialists in it and all that, means that the "free" offerings like KVM are somehow inferior within the range of their feature sets. VMWare's profits more and more now come from the management wrap around the enterprise view of it, and that's not actually anything to do with virt itself, just monitoring, deployment, migration etc...
 
Old 11-21-2010, 03:59 PM   #11
EDDY1
Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Oakland,Ca
Distribution: wins7, Debian wheezy
Posts: 5,089

Rep: Reputation: 448Reputation: 448Reputation: 448Reputation: 448Reputation: 448
Acer Aspire 3620 1.6 Ghz Celeron cpu doesn't support virtualization, what are my options?
Sorry couldn't help myself.
 
Old 11-21-2010, 11:26 PM   #12
vzxen
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Posts: 126

Rep: Reputation: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by acid_kewpie View Post
I found that as KVM can use the native stack on the host it's so so much simpler. Anything you can do on a linux network, you can provide to the guests as their network. Simple. You don't have to play with network configs in the slightest, and TBH I thought that the libvirt side of things was used extensively under Xen too, so would be the same config tools and files to achieve much of this... Personally I DO use my own networking on the host, as libvirt bridges run STP by default and other things I don't like, but in a simple system you don't need to use anything other than pointy clicky virt-manager to configure everything up to a point.
virt-manager definitely uses a bridge and cannot work without it till where I remember.
I might be wrong, but I dont think VIF is available in KVM.
Can you point me out to some networking guides in KVM where you dont have to modify the ifcfg-eth0 and setup a Bridge ?
 
Old 11-22-2010, 12:54 AM   #13
paulsm4
Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Distribution: SusE 8.2
Posts: 5,863
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Q: Best VM for Linux?
Chocolate

Seriously - there is no "best".

But there ARE a lot of good choices, with pros/cons for each.

Personally, I keep coming back to VMWare.

Yes, I've paid for VMWare Workstation. And no, most of my PCs use one of the free downloads: either VMWare Player or VMWare Server.

PS:
Make SURE to enable "Virtualization" in your BIOS.

But I'd encourage you to try a COUPLE of different solutions, and see what works best for you.

IMHO

Last edited by paulsm4; 11-22-2010 at 12:56 AM.
 
Old 11-22-2010, 12:23 PM   #14
acid_kewpie
Moderator
 
Registered: Jun 2001
Location: UK
Distribution: Gentoo, RHEL, Fedora, Centos
Posts: 43,378

Rep: Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by vzxen View Post
virt-manager definitely uses a bridge and cannot work without it till where I remember.
I might be wrong, but I dont think VIF is available in KVM.
Can you point me out to some networking guides in KVM where you dont have to modify the ifcfg-eth0 and setup a Bridge ?
Well my guide would just be ' use virt-manager', not sure what else to suggest...
 
Old 11-23-2010, 01:02 AM   #15
vzxen
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Posts: 126

Rep: Reputation: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by acid_kewpie View Post
Well my guide would just be ' use virt-manager', not sure what else to suggest...
So there is no way to do networking without a bridge is there?
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Linux Training Tips - Boot Linux from a Linux Installation CD or a Linux Live CD to L beibei Linux - General 1 10-29-2009 04:25 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration