LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 05-25-2010, 02:59 AM   #1
johnh10000
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Distribution: Ubuntu Lucid Lynx
Posts: 541

Rep: Reputation: 33
xorg.conf and nvidia


Hi folks, firstly sorry mod, if this is in the wrong place.

Now, find attached my xorg.conf file which hangs out in /etc/X11, when I do a restart, dispite what the conf say, the graphics defaults to 1026x768.

I don't think I have a local one, in my home directory, what would that be called if I do?

As thats the only thing I can think of why it would do this.

Last edited by johnh10000; 10-31-2010 at 05:49 AM.
 
Old 05-25-2010, 03:44 AM   #2
xoomer_ua
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2010
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: 1
Smile

Note, I am not expert - do it at your own risk. I just tell how I would try troubleshoot this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh10000 View Post
when I do a restart, dispite what the conf say, the graphics defaults to 1026x768.
Try to reinstall NVIDIA-drivers:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index5.aspx?lang=en-us
after downloading type from root these commands:
Code:
init 3
cd /path/to/downloaded/drivers/
sh name_of_drivers_package.run -q
nvidia-xconfig
sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia (in this step you'll need to specify your parameters. Be careful with this - you may damage your PC (don't edit refresh parameters if you not familiar with this)
init 5
By the way, NVIDIA installer need these packages: binutils, make, gcc, glibc, kernel-source, kernel-desktop-devel

Last edited by xoomer_ua; 05-25-2010 at 03:46 AM.
 
Old 05-25-2010, 04:03 AM   #3
johnh10000
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Distribution: Ubuntu Lucid Lynx
Posts: 541

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoomer_ua View Post
Note, I am not expert - do it at your own risk. I just tell how I would try troubleshoot this:

Try to reinstall NVIDIA-drivers:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index5.aspx?lang=en-us
after downloading type from root these commands:
Code:
init 3
cd /path/to/downloaded/drivers/
sh name_of_drivers_package.run -q
nvidia-xconfig
sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia (in this step you'll need to specify your parameters. Be careful with this - you may damage your PC (don't edit refresh parameters if you not familiar with this)
init 5
By the way, NVIDIA installer need these packages: binutils, make, gcc, glibc, kernel-source, kernel-desktop-devel
with lucid. and come to that karmic, the drivers (compiled) are in the repos.
 
Old 05-25-2010, 04:41 AM   #4
craigevil
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: OZ
Distribution: Debian Sid
Posts: 4,732
Blog Entries: 12

Rep: Reputation: 454Reputation: 454Reputation: 454Reputation: 454Reputation: 454
Menu -> System -> Hardware Drivers
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:11 AM   #5
johnh10000
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Distribution: Ubuntu Lucid Lynx
Posts: 541

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigevil View Post
Menu -> System -> Hardware Drivers
thats it. But the driver is doing just fine. It just won't auto reset to 1280x1024 (waht I want)

any ideas?
 
Old 05-25-2010, 05:46 AM   #6
LouRobytes
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Distribution: Ubuntu & Fedora
Posts: 189

Rep: Reputation: 44
Try System->Administration->NVIDIA X Server Settings. In the X Server Display Configuration, Set the Resolution: as 1280x1024 and Save to X Configuartion File. This should work if your adapter is similar to mine.

Cheers, Lou
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:55 AM   #7
johnh10000
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Distribution: Ubuntu Lucid Lynx
Posts: 541

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouRobytes View Post
Try System->Administration->NVIDIA X Server Settings. In the X Server Display Configuration, Set the Resolution: as 1280x1024 and Save to X Configuartion File. This should work if your adapter is similar to mine.

Cheers, Lou
yep thats exactly waht I do, and it defaults to 1024x768
 
Old 05-25-2010, 06:27 AM   #8
LouRobytes
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Distribution: Ubuntu & Fedora
Posts: 189

Rep: Reputation: 44
Interesting. Can you attach a copy of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log files?

Cheers, Lou
 
Old 05-25-2010, 06:45 AM   #9
johnh10000
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Distribution: Ubuntu Lucid Lynx
Posts: 541

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouRobytes View Post
Interesting. Can you attach a copy of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log files?

Cheers, Lou
if you look further up this post you'll find my xorg.conf

Last edited by johnh10000; 10-31-2010 at 05:49 AM.
 
Old 05-25-2010, 07:17 AM   #10
tredegar
Guru
 
Registered: May 2003
Location: London, UK
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04, mostly
Posts: 6,007

Rep: Reputation: 366Reputation: 366Reputation: 366Reputation: 366
I couldn't get ubuntu 10.04 and the NVIDIA driver ( I downloaded mine from NVIDIA ) to use my laptop's default of 1920x1080 until I added these red lines to by xorg.conf and restarted X

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Configured Video Device"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    Option         "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Default Screen"
    Device         "Configured Video Device"
    Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
    Option         "Connected Monitor" "DFP-0"
    Option         "CustomEDID" "DFP-0: /proc/acpi/video/NGFX/LCD/EDID"
    SubSection "Display"
                 Modes      "nvidia-auto-select"
    EndSubSection
EndSection
NVIDIA is now working well, though I had to do some hacking to get the virtual terminals on vt1-6 to display properly.

The current nouveau driver was also useless: my screen was just a window to a much bigger screen, so I couldn't see the bottom panel, or the icons at the top right.
 
Old 05-25-2010, 07:35 AM   #11
LouRobytes
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Distribution: Ubuntu & Fedora
Posts: 189

Rep: Reputation: 44
The last two lines of your log file shoe the server being told to change the resolution from the previously set 1280x1024 to 1024x768. If you are not doing this, then it is being done automatically by something else. Don't know what could be doing this.

When you set the resolution to 1280x1024, hit the Apply button and see what happens. Then look at the bottom of your log file and see if the change was applied.

Don't know what else to do other than possibly adding a mode line to the Display SubSection in the Screen Section of your xorg.conf file.

Cheers, Lou

EDIT: Sorry tredegar. Was busy while you replied.

Last edited by LouRobytes; 05-25-2010 at 07:37 AM.
 
Old 05-25-2010, 07:53 AM   #12
johnsfine
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2007
Distribution: Centos
Posts: 4,969

Rep: Reputation: 1075Reputation: 1075Reputation: 1075Reputation: 1075Reputation: 1075Reputation: 1075Reputation: 1075Reputation: 1075
In the log, these lines are important
Code:
(--) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce4 MX 420 at PCI:2:0:0:
(--) NVIDIA(0):     Acer AL1917W (CRT-0)
Is your display an Acer AL1917W?

The native resolution of the AL1917W is 1440x900. 1280x1024 probably wouldn't work.

I see a lot less in your /var/log/Xorg.0.log than I'm used to seeing. I don't see anything about how it decided 1280x1024 won't work. But assuming you really have the AL1917W, xorg would be correct to decide that.

If you don't have the AL1917W, you should figure out how to make xorg understand what display you do have.

If you do have the AL1917W, you should try to use its native resolution.
 
Old 05-25-2010, 07:53 AM   #13
johnh10000
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Distribution: Ubuntu Lucid Lynx
Posts: 541

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tredegar View Post
I couldn't get ubuntu 10.04 and the NVIDIA driver ( I downloaded mine from NVIDIA ) to use my laptop's default of 1920x1080 until I added these red lines to by xorg.conf and restarted X

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Configured Video Device"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    Option         "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Default Screen"
    Device         "Configured Video Device"
    Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
    Option         "Connected Monitor" "DFP-0"
    Option         "CustomEDID" "DFP-0: /proc/acpi/video/NGFX/LCD/EDID"
    SubSection "Display"
                 Modes      "nvidia-auto-select"
    EndSubSection
EndSection
NVIDIA is now working well, though I had to do some hacking to get the virtual terminals on vt1-6 to display properly.

The current nouveau driver was also useless: my screen was just a window to a much bigger screen, so I couldn't see the bottom panel, or the icons at the top right.
still don't think its the driver, where the self same one was working in KArmic. I did the upgrade through the rc and then onto the lts


will try it again in a minuete
 
Old 05-25-2010, 08:01 AM   #14
johnh10000
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Distribution: Ubuntu Lucid Lynx
Posts: 541

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsfine View Post
In the log, these lines are important
Code:
(--) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce4 MX 420 at PCI:2:0:0:
(--) NVIDIA(0):     Acer AL1917W (CRT-0)
Is your display an Acer AL1917W?

The native resolution of the AL1917W is 1440x900. 1280x1024 probably wouldn't work.

I see a lot less in your /var/log/Xorg.0.log than I'm used to seeing. I don't see anything about how it decided 1280x1024 won't work. But assuming you really have the AL1917W, xorg would be correct to decide that.

If you don't have the AL1917W, you should figure out how to make xorg understand what display you do have.

If you do have the AL1917W, you should try to use its native resolution.
It's an acer something, only just got it. 1280x1024 does work, when I apply by hand. You've given me an idea mind.

I'll take down to something daft like 800x600, restart and see waht happens

I did.. second bu t last said something about no input driver or device specified
 
Old 05-25-2010, 08:08 AM   #15
johnsfine
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2007
Distribution: Centos
Posts: 4,969

Rep: Reputation: 1075Reputation: 1075Reputation: 1075Reputation: 1075Reputation: 1075Reputation: 1075Reputation: 1075Reputation: 1075
Try the native resolution (1440x900).

An LCD looks much better at its native resolution than at any other resolution. Even if 1280x1024 works, it is likely to be at least blurred and maybe distorted.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
nvidia xorg.conf OR X windows xorg.conf? machines Slackware 3 04-06-2008 02:10 PM
Gentoo / Nvidia / Xorg.conf GaMeS Linux - Newbie 8 10-29-2005 05:38 AM
xorg.conf and nvidia problem scarryharry Slackware 8 05-20-2005 04:00 PM
NVidia TV out thru xorg.conf jobless_joe Linux - Software 7 02-22-2005 11:59 PM
nvidia tv-out Xorg.conf copy needed... TomCollins Slackware 4 11-07-2004 02:50 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration