if make didn't work, then i doubt that you have xine installed. the output of make would be too long to to copy and post. try this instead.
1. use the cd command to where you downloaded the xine*.tar.gz
2. use the su command and enter the root password to change to a super user.
3. use this command to build rpms from the tarball:
rpm -ta xine-lib-1-rc3a.tar.gz
4. navigate using either your file manager or using the cd command to /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386
5. if the compilation was successful, you'll see a couple of xine rpms.
6. install those rpms by double clicking on the rpms if you navigated using your file manager or use this command if you navigated using the cd command:
rpm -Uvh xine*.rpm
you need to download the xine-ui tarball package also. download it to a different directory from where you downloaded the other xine tarball. follow the same steps above to build rpms for the xine-ui tarball. if you use the rpm command to install xine-ui, change the filename in the command to something like xine-ui*.rpm so you don't attempt to install the previous rpms in the /usr/src/... directory.
you'll then need to download a couple of dependancies and codecs for viewing dvds and other media types like avi, mov, etc. files.
when you've installed everything, you can start xine by using the command:
Download anything libdvd from here
I download codecs from here