Originally posted by dowmun
A bit more detail...
I made a mistake. Actually, if I am on runlevel 5 all is fine. Except that display goes off for a about 20 secs. However, if I am in runlevel 3 and open X with startx
then my display dies..
1) Instead of starting KDE or something it freezes the PC and I can't do _nothing_ except ctrl+alt+backsp (not even ctrl+alt+del). But before it dies dispay says "No Signal". And then nothing.
2) It happens when I start X. Nothing like that (screensaver or something) is supposed to happen.
3) ctrl+alt+backsp RESTARTS the computer, which is strange as it is supposed to shut down the x-server.
4) Screen shows nothing. Mouse and keyboard don't word (I suspect, because I don't see what's going on on the screen)
5) ctrl+alt+F7 (F1, F2 ...) do not work too.
P.S. Basically, I get a feeling that computer is off, except that it makes some noise from the processing unit... I wouldn't make so much hassle out of it, but I am about to start learning Linux and I feel that my knowledge of X is next nothing..