X server not working after yum update & font server problems
My X server (so Gnome also) will not start.
What happened at first was the classic could not find font 'fixed error message'. after I did yum update.
So in /etc/X11/Xorg.conf I changed the fonts line from unix/:7100 to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc
Everything from /usr/X11R6/lib/ onwards I created myself as it wasn't there. So I downloaded the misc fonts package. I did mkfontdir, and my fonts.alias file says:
1. I did yum update (all) which apparently breaks dbus or something.
2. dbus (messagebus) does not work, which causes the Avahi and HAL daemons to stop working.
3. I start in init 1 and do "chcon -t system_dbusd_exec_t /bin/dbus-daemon".
4. Then When I go to init 3 and/or 1 after that, it messes up with error messages and things such as the keyboard typing wrong and text-based login screens appearing wrong. I will try and get hold of some error messages if anyone wants me to.
5. If I don't co the dbus things, Avahi and HAL don't start and neither does X.
6. Although in my above post X gave errors. here are the last few lines of /var/log/Xorg.0.log (and .1.log):
7. However, after the Nvidia logo flashing 1 or 2 times, and the screen clicking, I am left with the flashing underscore in the top left hand corner of the screen and a rectangular white console cursor, unable to type anything.
8. When I do Ctrl+alt+F1, it seems to have messed up too. There is an error message about not being able to start GTK. Text input is weird, just like I described in #4 (above).
9. OF course, the system still thinks it's in init 5.
10. Lastly, the only way to get X/Gnome to start is to put in "startx" when I'm logged on as root in init 1,3 or 5. When Gnome starts, I get one opr two messages about power-manager not being able to start because of dbus not running (see #2). Of course, this means I can't start X/Gnome when I am logged on as myself (Edward).
Thankyou very, very much to anyone who tries to help me. I do not understand this problem at all. Again, thinks in advance.[/QUOTE]
Is there any more information I can give?
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 PM.|