If you can skip the sound test, do so. I don't remember one when installing counter strike retail...
if you paid for the binary version of WineX, Transgaming has a support forum for exactly this with paid staff to help.
I'll assume that you downloaded via CVS, and by 'works on windows' you mean installing from scratch. It could be that the disk has a scratch that affects just the installer, otherwise.
1) WineX dosn't like the installer sound byte -- Again, I didn't have any sound test thing, or was able to click next through it without noticing it. If you can skip it, do so.
2) Screwy sound card -- don't know how to help you here.
3) Recent CVS change -- It might be due to a recent build change or something causing a bug... but I dled it from CVS just a couple days ago and got CS working minus any hardware acceleration on RH9 just fine...
4) If windows is on a different computer than the RH9, the cd rom drives may differ in ability to read the CD. Try copying the CD onto the linux comp from the windows comp, and fake a cdrom mount.
5) Uhm... that's all I can think of
hope this helps. Wish someone would help me