LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-12-2003, 11:42 PM   #1
externalgreenfu
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Distribution: debian/knoppix
Posts: 27

Rep: Reputation: 15
window managers vs kde/gnome


ive always used kde and found it pretty good, but realized there's lots of little apps installed that i never use.

i'm under the assumption with regular window managers (enlightenment, icewm..etc) you dont get those little apps?

how do you go about installing one of them? do all programs work with them? (mozilla/xmms/openoffice.org/etc...)

any window managers to recommend?
 
Old 07-12-2003, 11:49 PM   #2
slakmagik
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 4,113

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Well, by and large, the apps are independent of the IDE. KDE apps require KDE libs and Gnome apps require Gnome libs, but they don't require the IDE, as such. Some stuff like certain configuration tools or what have you might not work, and some act funny or need tweaking, but they most all work with any wm. And, as far as general apps like mozilla, yeah, those all work. But those apps will still be on the system whether you use them or not unless you delete them. You'll save memory and things will generally be faster - and simpler - with a wm.

I was a blackbox freak until I tried fluxbox which is 99% like blackbox and I like the other 1%. Either of those are my favorite though, for something a little heavier, there's stuff like icewm and windowmaker.

Oh - and you install them just like any other app.
 
Old 07-13-2003, 06:42 PM   #3
Thymox
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2001
Location: Plymouth, England.
Distribution: Debian + Ubuntu
Posts: 4,358

Rep: Reputation: 57
Of course, if you were feeling adventurous, you could re-create your favourite KDE environment, but without the clutter! If you run kwin as your windowmanager, and have kicker running on startup, you're 1/2 way there already.
Code:
## .xinitrc file - used to load a GUI
exec kicker &
exec kwin
 
Old 07-14-2003, 12:35 AM   #4
pianoman
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Atlanta
Distribution: Mandrake 9.0
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
I am having great trouble changing window managers in Mandrake 9.0 with Gnome 2.0.
gconf will not allow a change of window managers, and I've tried the 'killall metacity;enlightenment' trick, but all I get is an enlightenment message about editing the xinitrc file which it does, but cannot get enlightenment to run or install. Have played with run levels but all came to naught. My themes are in ~/.themes folder as gnome wants.
Any help?
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gnome stuck in 800x600 but other Window Managers work Pho Linux - Software 3 01-06-2006 06:50 AM
Window managers in KDE and Gnome gordingin Linux - Newbie 1 09-29-2004 03:51 PM
Changing window managers in KDE or gnome under RH9 massey Linux - Newbie 4 01-21-2004 08:26 AM
How about changing window managers in KDE? jenna_h Linux - Software 8 11-09-2003 09:57 AM
GNOME, Ximian, and Window Managers RedHatMN Linux - Newbie 2 12-06-2001 09:45 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration