Thanks everyone for all your help but it turns out it was a problem with the NTFS drive itself.
When I installed Redhat I put Grub on the MBR instead of the linux drive. I used my XP cd and booted to the recovery console, when I tried a "dir" on my c: drive - it said it was corrupted. I ran fixboot and rewrote the MBR for the XP bootloader. I was then able to "dir' the drive.
Then I booted from the RedHat 8.0 CD, ran "linux rescue" and then "/sbin/lilo" to install lilo on hdd1.
I went back into XP, ran bootpart to modify my boot.ini and rebooted into linux with no problems.
Once I was back in Linux - I figured I'd give the NTFS thing another shot. Worked first time - with the command I was using B4. So I added the partition to my fstab - and now I can listen to MP3's.
Thanks again for the help.