LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Software (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/)
-   -   which DVD player can play DVD from hard drive *and* support DVD Menu ? (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/which-dvd-player-can-play-dvd-from-hard-drive-%2Aand%2A-support-dvd-menu-231922/)

tho_x_tran 09-17-2004 05:29 PM

which DVD player can play DVD from hard drive *and* support DVD Menu ?
 
Mplayer is nice and suports so many types but it does not support DVD menu which is hard to understand. XINE is also a great DVD player but cannot play ISO or *entire* ripped DVD movies from hard drive. OGLE is so unstable and GUI is so inferior.

Anyone knows anything better than XINE and MPLAYER. I really like to see InterVideo DVD on Linux but it seems the effort got lost somehow.

m_yates 09-17-2004 05:31 PM

Ogle supports menus.

tho_x_tran 09-17-2004 05:59 PM

Actually I just found out that XINE can play ripped DVD from hard drive. In the setup input tab just replace the DVD device with the pathname on the hard drive where the movie is. Or one can also edit the 'config' file in .xine directory to specify 'input.dvd_device' to point to where on the hard drive the ripped DVD locates. It works great . I love XINE. Ogle is too buggy and GUI is very inferior.

wearetheborg 09-17-2004 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by tho_x_tran
Actually I just found out that XINE can play ripped DVD from hard drive. In the setup input tab just replace the DVD device with the pathname on the hard drive where the movie is. Or one can also edit the 'config' file in .xine directory to specify 'input.dvd_device' to point to where on the hard drive the ripped DVD locates. It works great . I love XINE. Ogle is too buggy and GUI is very inferior.
How do u rip dvds in linux?

Electro 09-17-2004 07:36 PM

Quote:

How do u rip dvds in linux?
Easy, use either mplayer, transcode, or dvd::rip. The linux way is to use dd and setting the image as a raw device.

Quote:

Mplayer is nice and suports so many types but it does not support DVD menu which is hard to understand.
The reason why mplayer does not support DVD menu (dvdnav library) is because the developers do not like the way dvdnav libraries works. The dvdnav library does an MPEG-2 hack to inject the menu information. Many Windows programs uses the MPEG-2 hack method to display navigation menus. I guess mplayer developers is waiting until MPEG-4 hits DVD movies because it is an object base codec that can make dvd navigation menus a little easier to make and to use. DiVix and Xvidx does not comply to MPEG-4 formats. You can look on mplayer's mailing list to see if there is a patch that adds dvdnav support.

There is totem and video lan player.

jg123 03-01-2006 11:16 PM

I know this topic is old but I found it through Google. You can play dvd's with xine (xine-ui) using the following syntax:
Code:

xine 'dvd://path/to/file.iso'
or
Code:

xine dvd://"path with spaces/to/file.iso"
.
In mythtv:
Code:

xine --fullscreen dvd://%s

david.dales 03-02-2006 08:38 AM

With all the appropriate supporting packages installed, many will play DVDs with menus.

Kaffeine, Mplayer, Xine, VideoLan, etc.....

KimVette 03-02-2006 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
How do u rip dvds in linux?

'u' search and find one of the many threads covering that very topic, and don't hijack the thread. :)

schneidz 07-21-2006 12:18 PM

will kaffeine play dvd's from the hard drive?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jg123
I know this topic is old but I found it through Google. You can play dvd's with xine (xine-ui) using the following syntax:
Code:

xine 'dvd://path/to/file.iso'

___________________________________________

Quote:

Originally Posted by david.dales
With all the appropriate supporting packages installed, many will play DVDs with menus.

Kaffeine, Mplayer, Xine, VideoLan, etc.....

will kaffeine play dvd's from the hard drive with dvd-menu support? (knoppix live-cd)

jg123 07-21-2006 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schneidz
___________________________________________



will kaffeine play dvd's from the hard drive with dvd-menu support? (knoppix live-cd)

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...05#post2164805


kaffeine "dvd://path/to/my/isofile.iso"

ddales 07-24-2006 02:36 AM

JG123 is correct. Mplayer and VLC will also both do this but I'm not sure if they will work with Knoppix or not.

I would say most of the media players will have about the same functionality and that it's just a matter of preference.

slantoflight 07-24-2006 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electro
The linux way is to use dd and setting the image as a raw device.

yea!:cool:

GNUlancer 11-16-2006 01:27 PM

Hmm.. Since I have read some essential part of mplayer's manual (i mean the commandline core part, not gmplayer) i never thought about where to get a better player, cause it has literally all the features. Just search trough the manual ('man mplayer', then type '/', enter the search string, and hit Enter, use 'n' to move to the next occurence). I don't know, whether it has the DVD menu support,..

GNUlancer 11-16-2006 01:40 PM

...but you don't really need it for managing your audio/video. The main key commands are left, right, up, down, pgup, pgdown, *, /, space, # (changing the audio tracks on a videoDVD; don't forget to hold Shift), <, > (changing the video tracks, again don't forget Shift). If you're still in trouble, download'n'burn a 6MB geexbox livecd, and forget about these problems.

GNUlancer 11-16-2006 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slantoflight
yea!:cool:

Just don't forget, dd is a part of GNU coreutils and Linux is just a kernel;)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 AM.