LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 05-05-2009, 12:00 AM   #3676
RafaelChacon
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2008
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 1
Ulead VideoStudio


I would like Ulead VideoStudio (owned now by Corel) to be ported to Linux. This is the only reason that I do not migrated the remaining PC to GNU/Linux.
 
Old 05-05-2009, 06:41 AM   #3677
Xolo
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Distribution: Mandrake, Knoppix, Coyote Linux, RedHat
Posts: 354
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElf View Post
whitemice: except for the fact that security was used as a main point here to promote linux, and its security is pretty relative... and it also points out to a simple fact: while linux desktop security mostly depends on lack of attackers who target multiple systems not lack of security holes, it would be important to see some security related tools to linux. Also it points to a simple fact: Porting a tool once isn't enough, programs should be patched and upgraded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceofSpades19 View Post
What security related tools aren't ported to linux?
I second that. What security related tools aren't ported to Linux?
 
Old 05-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #3678
rojoblandino
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Distribution: SuSE Debian
Posts: 22

Rep: Reputation: 0
Cool Magic Jack

I would like to have the magic Jack aplication into Linux or ooVoo aplication, it would be great to talk with my family, trought those greats aplications.
 
Old 05-06-2009, 01:43 AM   #3679
decodedthought
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Location: California,USA
Distribution: Archlinux
Posts: 195

Rep: Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dibi58 View Post
well, you can use / replacing:
cinepaint (maybe gimp) / for photoshop - fireworks (check plugins)
nvu, kompozer and open office / for dreamweaver
xara extreme (maybe skencil) / for indesign
kino, lives and stopmotion / for premiere
scribus / for illustrator
ipe, flpsed and pdfedit / for distiller - acrobat
cvs / for version cue
F4L, adobe flex framework and flash / for flash
Pixelmateor and After effects (maybe jahshaka) / for After effects
Ardour and Audacity / for Soundbooth (but here you should use a mac)

apparently they are working at cs4:
http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/63...wlc=1241429379
thanks i will try them out
 
Old 05-06-2009, 10:49 PM   #3680
_tarek
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
Final Cut pro;
Every game.
 
Old 05-07-2009, 12:17 AM   #3681
inspiron_Droid
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Distribution: Debian (Wheeze)
Posts: 391

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Notepad ++
 
Old 05-07-2009, 12:52 AM   #3682
dibi58
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Distribution: fedora (x86, alpha, sparc, ppc) debian (x86, x64, mips, hp-pa, ppc) suse (x64) slackware (x86, ppc)
Posts: 59

Rep: Reputation: 18
Smile

Well, in regards to security, nobody on his right mind will ever write spyware or junkware for Linux Sparc, so for the next ten years I feel good about Linux.

In regards to Adobe, sure they are not the same products both ways, there are pros and cons on anything, I use Adobe on the Mac as well, but those listed are products that can serve 90% of the purpose at 0% of the cost. Actually Xara is "very very" fast and cinepaint is 32 bit, not bad for freebies. Try scribus for work similar to indesign.

We used photoshop since the late 80's, we had a glorious Macintosh II, I remember retouching navigational charts on 85mb files, was a nice tool, our press office used it for their magazine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElf View Post
whitemice: except for the fact that security was used as a main point here to promote linux, and its security is pretty relative... and it also points out to a simple fact: while linux desktop security mostly depends on lack of attackers who target multiple systems not lack of security holes, it would be important to see some security related tools to linux. Also it points to a simple fact: Porting a tool once isn't enough, programs should be patched and upgraded.

dibi58: I doubt if Xara Extreme can replace InDesign, you probably doesn't know these software. GIMP / cinepaint aren't a good replacement for Photoshop in many cases. These tools aren't work as a single suite, you don't see any intergation to help you with your work.

Last edited by dibi58; 05-08-2009 at 06:49 AM.
 
Old 05-07-2009, 01:02 AM   #3683
dibi58
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Distribution: fedora (x86, alpha, sparc, ppc) debian (x86, x64, mips, hp-pa, ppc) suse (x64) slackware (x86, ppc)
Posts: 59

Rep: Reputation: 18
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeinlondon View Post
Fusion net objects. Linux needs a website editor for beginners.
try nvu or kompozer
 
Old 05-07-2009, 01:06 AM   #3684
dibi58
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Distribution: fedora (x86, alpha, sparc, ppc) debian (x86, x64, mips, hp-pa, ppc) suse (x64) slackware (x86, ppc)
Posts: 59

Rep: Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by donlinux View Post
You can add me to the Photoshop list. I'd also like to see some type of a gui relational database. Open office doesn't have one that I know of and SQL is not my cup of tea. I hate to admit that I still use Access but it's the best game in town right now. Tried it with Crossover and it does have some limitations. I'd also like to see a sync program to sync a database to my palm. I'm currently using smartlist to go on my windoze box. I've been unable to find a decent gui frontend to any virus software or spam killers although I'm early on in my search.
Try Oracle XE, is SQL but has a lot of help, easier than any other database I have found on linux.

Also, is "free"

Last edited by dibi58; 05-07-2009 at 04:07 AM.
 
Old 05-07-2009, 01:11 AM   #3685
dibi58
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Distribution: fedora (x86, alpha, sparc, ppc) debian (x86, x64, mips, hp-pa, ppc) suse (x64) slackware (x86, ppc)
Posts: 59

Rep: Reputation: 18
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTBlackwell View Post
As a screenwriter, I have one addition to the list: Final Draft. I hate having to bother with adjusting margins and whatnot in OpenOffice, etc. It gets in the way of telling the story. Also, FinalDraft had some really nice features that a normal word processor doesn't provide (name database, scene notes, revisions, etc.)
somebody asked me for a similar program and somebody else recomanded me celtx, but I know as much as nothing about screen play writing, check it out and tell all of us what you think about it
 
Old 05-07-2009, 01:14 AM   #3686
dibi58
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Distribution: fedora (x86, alpha, sparc, ppc) debian (x86, x64, mips, hp-pa, ppc) suse (x64) slackware (x86, ppc)
Posts: 59

Rep: Reputation: 18
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaso View Post
I messed things up jeremy my previous post ought to be in the games thread . Anyways the program i really would like to see ported to linux is Autocad (>$6000), but i know of a enormity of cad programs less sofisticated (< expensive) than autocad that authors would maybe be interested in seeing their software being pushed to a new level under linux with the help of the community .

BTW i just thought about GPL and it occur to me that porting anything to linux would necessarily bring openness of their code and the possibility of downloading it freely from the web ?
don't think so
oracle runs on linux of several flavors and surely is not open software
 
Old 05-07-2009, 01:17 AM   #3687
dibi58
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Distribution: fedora (x86, alpha, sparc, ppc) debian (x86, x64, mips, hp-pa, ppc) suse (x64) slackware (x86, ppc)
Posts: 59

Rep: Reputation: 18
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by schatoor View Post
Someone said SPSS. A prog called PSPP might be of interest. It's still in early stages of develop. Here is the web site.
I would like to see skype ported to linux. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's software that lets you phone over the internet, but with much higher sound quality then with VoIP (voice over IP) and without additional hardware requirements, other then an headphone set. It's not big yet, but I predict it will be within a certain amount of time. It's from the same people who created kazaa and also works with p2p technology.
If linux is to survive on the desktop market, I think such an app is essential, because people are alraigdy talking about doing away conventional telephones and use these kind of applications instead. So someone should either make an linux app just like it (and preferably distribute it under the gpl license), or the company that makes skype should port there app to linux.
skype does run on linux:
http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/
 
Old 05-07-2009, 01:27 AM   #3688
dibi58
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Distribution: fedora (x86, alpha, sparc, ppc) debian (x86, x64, mips, hp-pa, ppc) suse (x64) slackware (x86, ppc)
Posts: 59

Rep: Reputation: 18
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElf View Post
I think their "security" depends on a simple fact: There is not enough people who do the same. As soon as linux will have more than 10% market share on desktop markets these people will be an attractive target and we will hear about tons of unhappy users.
Maybe true. That makes my old hp 9000 running debian, the "perpetually unattractive" target, LOL
 
Old 05-07-2009, 01:58 AM   #3689
dibi58
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Distribution: fedora (x86, alpha, sparc, ppc) debian (x86, x64, mips, hp-pa, ppc) suse (x64) slackware (x86, ppc)
Posts: 59

Rep: Reputation: 18
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElf View Post
When I googled for some irrevielant information, I found a link to your forum, thought maybe even if it is offtopic here, I will find some info. Then if it was open, I looked around a bit. Why?

Linux is quite common as an OS, if you see set top boxes, TV sets, etc that has a linux kernel installed and some linux based software. But on desktop markets I see linux as not so popular, and whenever I tried it I was disappointed. I have some VMs with linux ready, but I rarely use them. Often, when I run into a problem, I look fo some support, and see: when I use a comercial software (lets use vBulletin for example), I keep support, since my $s count for the developer. When I look at Open Source Software, where mostly fans help with support: They defend their software and doesn't help.

If you don't see the weaknesses in your software, you don't improve. And after a period of time, your chances at success will be limited by: how many people are willing to give linux based solutions after another try after being disappointed a few times, after hearing how it will spread in a few years for over a decade.

GIMP and other linux based tools can be excellent software, but if they don't have some functionality you NEED, and when you explain what you NEED you only hear it is excellent, you won't use GIMP, you won't use linux.

And when the linux community doesn't want to support environments where both windows and linux are used, you won't use linux either. Not even on boxes where it would be an excellent choice.

GIMP (and other linux based programs) are different from Photoshop in functionality. If we also speak about the whole creative suite, and we see we don't only use it for fun, or for web graphics, but try to prepare stuf for prints, work with video (when you use photoshop + afterffects + premiere pro), do medical imaging, etc you will see your favorite image manipulation problem will not work well.

So for this reason I think a native photoshop would be nice. Or let me word it more precisely: Adobe Creative Suite should be ported, yes, the whole shebang.

But again: when people suggest linux, they say it is easy to switch, since most users don't need to know it from inside out, and most users don't even know their current OS inside out, you can pick up how to use it in matter of weeks.

Learning all the tricks to make you competitive with photoshop, illustrator, indesign, premiere, etc. can take years. People would consider spending a few weeks of training to try out linux but wouldn't want to relearn stuff that took them years to learn. Noone would finance the time you spend with learning instead of working efficiently.

So even if you would find a good replacement for the whole adobe crative suite for the whole process, with just as good integration, etc. you would see training time a problem.

Lots of people say: OpenOffice.org is a good replacement for office. I have it installed, and for some documents I would prefer it over office since it has certain advantages, and if you use some (not so basic) functionality it is more efficient. But in many cases the Microsoft Office product line is better. We speak about small differences there, much smaller than in the case of Photoshop vs GIMP.

And I was willing to learn both tools. But I know, even to get to this decision, checking OpenOffice took considerable time spent with trying it instead of working with it.

And if you don't make money in your work time that is part of the cost for the choice and it can make OpenOffice a bad choice in many scenarios. But if it is a problem for 3% of users at your organization, and want compatibility, and MS Office wouldn't create such problems, it won't be 97% OpenOffice and 3% MS Office... It will probably end up with 100% MS Office.

And when people tried out OpenOffice, seen how much problems it created, how much time wasted they won't give you another try.

When people want to try Linux and GIMP and run in many walls, and some of the problems cannot be solved for them in reasonable time, their lost work time, lost customers cost them far more than using Windows and Photoshop, they won't consider linux, and they won't trust you. When you say it is better now, they will ignore you.

And the higher percentage of users deciding they don't give a chance to linux, the worse it is.

Of course the more users decide they don't want to give MS another chance it is worse for MS as well. And it is true if they create the problems for themself. Some MS software is easy to use, but hard to master. And if you don't learn them well, you run into problems, and I understand people who no longer want to take risks because they can't know when they do things right.

If we look at how linux and windows compete, I think the outcome is determined by people who say "I never try this ... again."

And if linux want to be strong, they would need Photoshop, and maybe they would need a better office suite too.
Honestly I see your point for CS4, is being ported, and I still use the mac for the Adobe stuff, and I ment Scribus as a partial replacement for Indesign, my mistake, but I can not find any reason to use M$ Office over StarOffice or OpenOffice. I don't use macros or other non portable programming interface, and I find StarOffice and OpenOffice not only more stable, but also more intuitive for writing books, without mentioning the built-in pdf generator, the Sparc Solaris version, and the fact that StarOffice reads a gigantic number of file formats, even the Displaywriter LOL, if you remember what it is.

The only problem I see, is M$ changing files formats very frequently, so I may not be able to open the "latest" M$ creation, but on the other hands, I could not use M$ on any of the workstations, and I would be limited to M$ win and OSX macs, not relly a "scalable" solution. Also, NOT using M$ office saves me from a lot of malware specifically targeting M$ products, a real headache.

Open Office or Star Office run well on the OSs I use the most (OSX, Linux and Solaris). Only advantage on M$ could be very few Excel based applications, maybe ? That is pretty much the only reason why I still run two win installations on VMs, besides Oracle Designer, that runs only on Win.

In my humble opinion, StarOffice, is at least twice as better than M$ Office, and you are talking to somebody that used word since the times of M$ dos, and excel since the first version, as a matter of fact, before that I even used M$ multiplan, if you remember what it is. I would not use office, except for excel I use for a generator, not even if M$ would send me one free every other day.

Once those few programs are replaced by something equivalent and newer, I don't think I may need Win for anything else than as a target port for testing, in a VM.

Last edited by dibi58; 05-08-2009 at 07:39 AM. Reason: addition
 
Old 05-07-2009, 02:05 AM   #3690
dibi58
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Distribution: fedora (x86, alpha, sparc, ppc) debian (x86, x64, mips, hp-pa, ppc) suse (x64) slackware (x86, ppc)
Posts: 59

Rep: Reputation: 18
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanostaajen View Post
MS visio must be ported to linux. So I can finally make good flowcharts again.
Never used visio, so forgive me if is not what you may be looking for, but have you tried dia and all the converters and source generator packages ?

Last edited by dibi58; 05-08-2009 at 05:10 PM. Reason: spelling
 
  


Reply

Tags
cad, clone, debian, dreamweaver, drivers, editing, editor, education, eeepc, elite, etch, flash, future, gimp, itunes, keyboard, kppp, linux, lotus, macro, macromedia, mandriva2007, modem, music, news, newsreader, nntp, office, open, openoffice.org, pdf, photoshop, pim, port, porting, poster, printing, program, programs, quicken, recognition, shockwave, sled, software, softwares, sound, source, speech, suse, usenet, video, wvdial, xandros


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What games would you like to see ported to Linux? jeremy Linux - Games 1427 10-27-2014 01:16 PM
Linux Programs Ported to Windoze ddpicard General 15 08-05-2010 07:59 PM
Has Winamp been ported to Linux? neilcpp Linux - Software 48 05-31-2010 04:00 PM
Exeem to be ported to linux cadj Linux - Networking 0 01-27-2005 12:02 AM
New Forums! Want a game ported to Linux? Jimbobbob Linux - Games 5 10-04-2003 02:31 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration