LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-04-2009, 05:41 PM   #3526
Piccolo_Pete
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Location: Boston
Distribution: Mandriva 2008.1
Posts: 26

Rep: Reputation: 15

I personally have not tried PSPP, but I too have been looking for a stats package for Linux. I have used SPSS during my undergraduate days in the psych labs, so PSPP looks attractive. I am turned off to SPSS because of its price but also the time-bomb DRM which comes with it. I don't crunch numbers full time so the $1600 price tag is out of the question and when I buy software I expect to use it in perpetuity. That is not the case with SPSS.
 
Old 01-07-2009, 09:57 PM   #3527
rrgaines
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
A real PIM like MS Outlook (Personal Information Manager)integrated with Open Office applications like MS Outlook is with MS Office apps.

Outlook is a powerful PIM - much more than just an email program with some add-ons and gizmos like a calendar, etc. As dhanyaelizabeth said so well: Open Office is no match for the UI and user friendliness of MS Office with Outlook. Until Open Office can provide this functionality and productivity many of us who would prefer to be using Linux and Open Office are stuck in Windows/Office Land for very practical reasons.
 
Old 01-07-2009, 11:44 PM   #3528
Piccolo_Pete
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Location: Boston
Distribution: Mandriva 2008.1
Posts: 26

Rep: Reputation: 15
rrgaines,

Have you tried Evolution? It is part of GNOME and it is equivalent to MS Outlook. I use it as my mail/calendar/address book client and it works very well.
 
Old 01-08-2009, 07:37 AM   #3529
whitemice
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Location: Michigan, USA
Distribution: openSUSE
Posts: 52

Rep: Reputation: 15
Evolution integrates with OOo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgaines View Post
A real PIM like MS Outlook (Personal Information Manager)integrated with Open Office applications like MS Outlook is with MS Office apps. Outlook is a powerful PIM - much more than just an email program with some add-ons and gizmos like a calendar, etc. As dhanyaelizabeth said so well: Open Office is no match for the UI and user friendliness of MS Office with Outlook. Until Open Office can provide this functionality and productivity many of us who would prefer to be using Linux and Open Office are stuck in Windows/Office Land for very practical reasons.
That's Evolution; and on most (all?) mainstream distributions it does integrate with OpenOffice.

If you are specific about what "functionality and productivity many of us" is then nobody can really help. I'm a developer in the groupware space and hear this allot; asking for specific features or use-cases - *every single time* - results in silence.
 
Old 01-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #3530
Hb_Kai
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 75

Rep: Reputation: 31
I'd love to see MSN/Windows Live on Ubuntu and not this Pidgen client. I loved MSN. I think it's the only downside of my migration.
 
Old 01-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #3531
Piccolo_Pete
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Location: Boston
Distribution: Mandriva 2008.1
Posts: 26

Rep: Reputation: 15
Just curious....but what is it about the Pidgin client you don't like?
 
Old 01-09-2009, 01:16 PM   #3532
mike10
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Distribution: Debian amd64 with 32bit libs and Debian 32 bit laptop
Posts: 119

Rep: Reputation: 16
what about amsn?
 
Old 01-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #3533
Renan_S2
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Location: Santa Maria, Brazil
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 66

Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccolo_Pete View Post
I personally have not tried PSPP, but I too have been looking for a stats package for Linux.
You might try R (http://www.r-project.org), looks good but I haven't used it, though.
 
Old 01-12-2009, 05:02 PM   #3534
portamenteff
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Colorado
Distribution: sabayon
Posts: 178
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hb_Kai View Post
I'd love to see MSN/Windows Live on Ubuntu and not this Pidgen client. I loved MSN. I think it's the only downside of my migration.
Well I don't see MSN messenger being ported at all, but AMSN is similar, I know pidgin isn't exactly the same either. we just have to make due until all the major software developers "see the light."
 
Old 01-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #3535
Piccolo_Pete
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Location: Boston
Distribution: Mandriva 2008.1
Posts: 26

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
we just have to make due until all the major software developers "see the light."
While that is a nice idea, personally I prefer Pidgin over the "real" clients, it feels lighter weight and doesn't include the ads and other resource-hogging crap that plagues the others. I can't even remember the last time I used the real AIM client...since I found that Pidgin (then Gaim) was available for Win32 I switched and haven't looked back since. Gotta be close to at least two years now that I've touched the AIM client. Last version was 5.2.something

Last time I used the MSN client was even longer...2003 *maybe* hahahaha
 
Old 01-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #3536
Hb_Kai
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 75

Rep: Reputation: 31
What is AMSN?

I do like Pidgen, it does feel lighter and whatever and it doesn't have any adds, but, it's not MSN really...
On MSN I could use a webcam or microphone. I've been looking around Pidgen and not found anything to control either of these two, and the nudges - as annoying as they were, it'd be nice to have them back. And the alert when someone comes online or messages you. That did get in the way at times, but if there was a replacement to enable all of these that worked with Ubuntu, I'd have it, but I don't know of one yet.
 
Old 01-14-2009, 08:55 PM   #3537
AceofSpades19
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Location: Chilliwack,BC.Canada
Distribution: Slackware64 -current
Posts: 2,079

Rep: Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hb_Kai View Post
What is AMSN?

I do like Pidgen, it does feel lighter and whatever and it doesn't have any adds, but, it's not MSN really...
On MSN I could use a webcam or microphone. I've been looking around Pidgen and not found anything to control either of these two, and the nudges - as annoying as they were, it'd be nice to have them back. And the alert when someone comes online or messages you. That did get in the way at times, but if there was a replacement to enable all of these that worked with Ubuntu, I'd have it, but I don't know of one yet.
amsn is a msn client for linux
 
Old 01-14-2009, 09:00 PM   #3538
mike10
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Distribution: Debian amd64 with 32bit libs and Debian 32 bit laptop
Posts: 119

Rep: Reputation: 16
http://www.amsn-project.net/
aMSN is a free open source MSN Messenger clone
 
Old 01-15-2009, 04:13 AM   #3539
Dnyanraj
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Posts: 16

Rep: Reputation: 0
Post

photoshop,
coreldraw,
autocad,
maya,
ms-office,
pagemaker
tally ...etc.

these are some of the programs which should be supported on linux with full functionality. some of these programs run through wine, but functionality is not as good as on windows.

there are open source alternatives available but again not powerful as these programs. many companies have done work in these softwares & migrating this whole work into linux is a big challenge..
 
Old 01-15-2009, 04:23 AM   #3540
chakka.lokesh
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 211

Rep: Reputation: 32
there is package called GIMP for the purpose of working on photos
 
  


Reply

Tags
cad, clone, debian, dreamweaver, drivers, editing, editor, education, eeepc, elite, etch, flash, future, gimp, itunes, keyboard, kppp, linux, lotus, macro, macromedia, mandriva2007, modem, music, news, newsreader, nntp, office, open, openoffice.org, pdf, photoshop, pim, port, porting, poster, printing, program, programs, quicken, recognition, shockwave, sled, software, softwares, sound, source, speech, suse, usenet, video, wvdial, xandros


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What games would you like to see ported to Linux? jeremy Linux - Games 1427 10-27-2014 01:16 PM
Linux Programs Ported to Windoze ddpicard General 15 08-05-2010 07:59 PM
Has Winamp been ported to Linux? neilcpp Linux - Software 48 05-31-2010 04:00 PM
Exeem to be ported to linux cadj Linux - Networking 0 01-27-2005 12:02 AM
New Forums! Want a game ported to Linux? Jimbobbob Linux - Games 5 10-04-2003 02:31 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration