LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Software (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/)
-   -   VirtualBox 2.1 on Fedora 64-bit won't install Windows 7 Beta 64-bit (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/virtualbox-2-1-on-fedora-64-bit-wont-install-windows-7-beta-64-bit-696358/)

linuxroks88 01-10-2009 02:02 PM

VirtualBox 2.1 on Fedora 64-bit won't install Windows 7 Beta 64-bit
 
I just downloaded the Windows 7 Public Beta 64-bit. I am running Fedora 10 64-bit with VirtualBox 64-bit version. When I try to install Win7 from the .iso, I get an error that says:

"Attempting to load a 64-bit application, however this CPU is not compatible with 64-bit mode."

This is bogus because VT-x is enabled in VirtualBox for this vm.

Has anyone installed 64-bit Vista (and/or the Win7 beta) with VirtualBox successfully?

Halfwalker 01-10-2009 04:27 PM

Nope, didn't work here either. This was tried on an Ubuntu 8.10 x64 install running on a Xeon quad-core with 16G ram. Using Virtualbox 2.1.

Different problem though, in this case it complained that there was a hardware error. Hitting F8 got to the typical advanced options, and not even plain old safe mode would work. They all spat up

Status: 0xc0000225

<edit: had status code wrong>

D.

linuxroks88 01-10-2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfwalker (Post 3403911)
Nope, didn't work here either. This was tried on an Ubuntu 8.10 x64 install running on a Xeon quad-core with 16G ram. Using Virtualbox 2.1.

I'm going to try VMWare Server and see if it works with that.

linuxroks88 01-11-2009 08:29 AM

Has anyone else gotten the Windows 7 Beta x64 to run under a 64-bit Linux host with VirtualBox? I have been holding off on installing VMWare Server, because VirtualBox has a much smaller footprint and is all I otherwise really need. I'd like to get Win7Beta x64 running with VBox if possible.

dblade 01-11-2009 02:30 PM

I was getting Status: 0xc0000225 on intrepid 64-bit then I enabled both IO APIC and PAE/NX (basically all options on now) and Windows 7 beta 64bit is installing now. I didn't go through and test which option was truly needed, but my guess would be the IO APIC option did it over the other.

EDIT: I dunno if it matters this early in testing but i also had enabled the sata controller option as well

jcookeman 01-11-2009 04:19 PM

Firstly, I'd like to take this opportunity to curse Microsoft. I had to go to the html source and manually copy/paste the download url because of their queer ActiveX download manager. I also noticed when they asked me what my primary operating system was, there was only options for Windows and other. Gasp, you mean, actually, there is another operating system besides Winblows?

That aside, it's now downloading, and I look forward to seeing just how many obstacles Microsoft has devised to keep 7 from running virtualized.

jcookeman 01-11-2009 04:20 PM

Double post deleted.

linuxroks88 01-12-2009 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dblade (Post 3404761)
I was getting Status: 0xc0000225 on intrepid 64-bit then I enabled both IO APIC and PAE/NX (basically all options on now) and Windows 7 beta 64bit is installing now. I didn't go through and test which option was truly needed, but my guess would be the IO APIC option did it over the other.

EDIT: I dunno if it matters this early in testing but i also had enabled the sata controller option as well

Thanks for the input. I enabled all options and I still get the same error as I reported above. I guess I'll try downloading the 32-bit version and see if that works.

Halfwalker 01-13-2009 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dblade (Post 3404761)
I was getting Status: 0xc0000225 on intrepid 64-bit then I enabled both IO APIC and PAE/NX (basically all options on now) and Windows 7 beta 64bit is installing now. I didn't go through and test which option was truly needed, but my guess would be the IO APIC option did it over the other.

EDIT: I dunno if it matters this early in testing but i also had enabled the sata controller option as well

Bingo, IO APIC was it. I just enabled that and booted from the x64 dvd image. Win7 installed just fine and is running cleanly now, with the VirtualBox 2.1 Guest Additions. I normally have IO APIC disabled, as it does impact performance noticeably.

I also use the sata controller - better performance.

Oddly enough, Debian and Ubuntu x64 install and run just fine without IO APIC enabled.

BTW, in order to install the Guest Additions, you have to right-click on the installer file on the disc image, Properties, Compatibility tab, and select Windows Vista. Drops right in then and works fine.

D.

linuxroks88 01-13-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfwalker (Post 3407044)
Bingo, IO APIC was it. I just enabled that and booted from the x64 dvd image. Win7 installed just fine and is running cleanly now, with the VirtualBox 2.1 Guest Additions. I normally have IO APIC disabled, as it does impact performance noticeably.

I also use the sata controller - better performance.

Oddly enough, Debian and Ubuntu x64 install and run just fine without IO APIC enabled.

BTW, in order to install the Guest Additions, you have to right-click on the installer file on the disc image, Properties, Compatibility tab, and select Windows Vista. Drops right in then and works fine.

D.

Halfwalker,

I enabled IO APIC and PAE/NX and it did not work for me. I'm running Fedora, not Ubuntu, so I wonder if it's something with my distro?

jcookeman 01-13-2009 02:54 PM

Works on OpenSuse. You do not need PAE/NX.

linuxroks88 01-13-2009 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcookeman (Post 3407460)
Works on OpenSuse. You do not need PAE/NX.

Ok, so what specific settings are you using to get the install to work? Just IP APIC and SATA?

jcookeman 01-13-2009 04:30 PM

Name
Windows-7

OS Type
Windows Vista (64 bit)

Base Memory
1024 MB

Video Memory
64 MB

Boot Order
Floppy, CD/DVD-ROM, Hard Disk

ACPI
Enabled

IO APIC
Enabled

VT-x/AMD-V
Enabled

PAE/NX
Disabled

3D Acceleration
Enabled

Enable SATAController
Disabled

linuxroks88 01-13-2009 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcookeman (Post 3407558)
Name
Windows-7

OS Type
Windows Vista (64 bit)

Base Memory
1024 MB

Video Memory
64 MB

Boot Order
Floppy, CD/DVD-ROM, Hard Disk

ACPI
Enabled

IO APIC
Enabled

VT-x/AMD-V
Enabled

PAE/NX
Disabled

3D Acceleration
Enabled

Enable SATAController
Disabled

I replicated those same settings and still get the error. I'm going to try to download the 32-bit version. Every time I try, it "completes" prematurely (the resulting file isn't anywhere near 2.4GB, like it says it should be).

dblade 01-13-2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfwalker (Post 3407044)

Oddly enough, Debian and Ubuntu x64 install and run just fine without IO APIC enabled.

It may be useful to diff the kernel .config 's to see how APIC and related settings are set between the two.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 PM.