for some reason the copy of vi and vim that run on my local machine seem to behave totally differently to those ran by a shell provider that I host with, dispite the fact that they are the same versions and where compiled in the same way (ie. with no special options etc.)
when I asked my shell providers about this they suggested that my local machine may have the wrong terminal settings, however, I'm not entirly sure what they mean by this ? I use xterm to run the editors from fluxbox, this is what I'd usually do to edit a file on my remote shell ....
1. open file using "vim filename"
2. navigate to the area what needs changing using arrow keys
3. find area which needs editing and press "i" to bring up INSERT
4. delete/insert text using delete key etc. etc.
5. press escape to leave INSERT mode
6. press ":" and enter "wq" to write and quit the editor
this just dosnt seem to work on my local machine, when in INSERT mode the arrow keys seem to insert letters insted of moving the cursor ? and I cant seem to create a new line, lots of things like that really
its very frustracting because I hate using editors such as PICO, I'd LOVE to be able to use vim or vi on this machine, please help me !