LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-31-2004, 05:01 AM   #1
tawalker
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Location: UK
Distribution: Red Hat 9
Posts: 52

Rep: Reputation: 15
Upgrading RH9 with apt


My main PC runs Red Hat 9, which you may know is approaching "end of life" - i.e. Red Hat won't support it with updates, etc. after the end of April.

I now have the CDs for Fedora Core 1, which I'll be using for the next PC which comes my way For the existing RH9 machine, I'm considering using the "upgrade distribution" option in apt-get, as it sounds like a less risky/destructive option than using the Fedora CDs for the upgrade.

My question is, is it less risky? I'd be very interested in hearing from anyone here who has upgraded their entire RH distribution with apt-get, especially if you had problems and would advise caution. On the other hand, is it relatively painless?

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Tim

P.S. I realise upgrading the distribution online will take a while, but I have a broadband connection at home so I can just leave it going all night if need be
 
Old 03-31-2004, 08:45 AM   #2
Sohni
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: Planet Earth
Distribution: SuSE Linux 9.0
Posts: 83

Rep: Reputation: 15
You have strange wishes. As much as I know 'apt-get' is used in debian based distributions. RedHat is an RPM distribution. It will probably be very complicated.

If you want to have an easy upgrade path in the future, try SuSE distributions. SuSE has a configuration tool named YaST. There you can define install location. If new version becomes available you just change the source path (FTP server directory) and conduct a system update
 
Old 03-31-2004, 09:07 AM   #3
Thetargos
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Mexico City
Distribution: Fedora, Ubuntu & Mint
Posts: 1,679

Rep: Reputation: 45
Re: Upgrading RH9 with apt

Quote:
Originally posted by tawalker
My main PC runs Red Hat 9, which you may know is approaching "end of life" - i.e. Red Hat won't support it with updates, etc. after the end of April.

I now have the CDs for Fedora Core 1, which I'll be using for the next PC which comes my way For the existing RH9 machine, I'm considering using the "upgrade distribution" option in apt-get, as it sounds like a less risky/destructive option than using the Fedora CDs for the upgrade.

My question is, is it less risky? I'd be very interested in hearing from anyone here who has upgraded their entire RH distribution with apt-get, especially if you had problems and would advise caution. On the other hand, is it relatively painless?

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Tim

P.S. I realise upgrading the distribution online will take a while, but I have a broadband connection at home so I can just leave it going all night if need be
Depending on the degree of optimization (customiztion) you've made into your computer, you could stick to it or just upgrade with FC1 (which will upgrade RH 8-9 just fine, keeping even much of your customizations). You can use apt-get for RPM from shrike.freshrpms.net, and use their updates. Of course you can do the same with Fedora via yum or apt-get (your choice).

Just one note in the event of an FC update: You will have to install the package rhgb after installation by hand to get graphical boot mode.
 
Old 03-31-2004, 10:14 AM   #4
tawalker
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Location: UK
Distribution: Red Hat 9
Posts: 52

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Sohni said:

Quote:
You have strange wishes.
And I always thought I was boringly normal...

Quote:
As much as I know 'apt-get' is used in debian based distributions. RedHat is an RPM distribution. It will probably be very complicated.
I should've mentioned I use the Red Hat/RPM version of apt-get and Synaptic, and have done for the last few months. Takes much of the pain out of installing RPMs, especially where there are dependencies.

From Thetargos:

Quote:
Just one note in the event of an FC update: You will have to install the package rhgb after installation by hand to get graphical boot mode.
As long as I knew what I was doing, that would be OK... except I don't, so I'd have to look for a HOWTO

On reflection, I may just leave the distribution as it is. It isn't particularly "broken" - in fact, I think I've got it working just right - so I'm wary of trying to change anything which might knock everything over.

I just thought I might miss the automatic updates from RH, but now it means I'll have to actually think about what I'm doing, and might learn something...

Thanks for the food for thought!

Tim
 
Old 03-31-2004, 01:20 PM   #5
Thetargos
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Mexico City
Distribution: Fedora, Ubuntu & Mint
Posts: 1,679

Rep: Reputation: 45
NP
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
packages not upgrading with apt bearwood Linux - Software 4 04-06-2005 05:39 AM
Upgrading to Gnome 2.4 in RH9 with apt tawalker Linux - Software 0 02-18-2004 08:35 AM
rh9 xd2 apt apt-get problem fix and solution transeunt Red Hat 0 12-16-2003 11:54 PM
Upgrading to Fedora via APT? pilot1 Fedora 24 12-08-2003 02:00 PM
apt-get and upgrading kde devinWhalen Linux - Software 1 04-15-2003 12:04 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration