edit: this is on RH8
I know just enough to get myself in trouble apparently.
Using Webmin I restricted security so much within MySQL that root was no longer allowed to do anything. Trying various suggestions, I finally resolved to exporting the one database being used to a SQL file and simply (for some) reinstalling MySQL. Apparently, I took the wrong approach:
Here are the events:
- ran rpm -qa | grep mysql which only returned php-mysql-4.2.2-8.0.8, which incidentally was not the version that I had running on the machine (4.0.16-0).
- ran rpm -e php-mysql-4.2.2-8.0.8
- ran rpm -qa | grep mysql again, which returned nothing. At this point however, MySQL was still running on the box, but although I had originally installed via RPM, it was not being displayed via the method above.
- ran whereis mysql, which returned /usr/lib/mysql; /usr/include/mysql; /usr/share/mysql; /usr/share/man/man1/mysql1.1.gz
- ran rm -rf on each of the previously listed directories/files
- ran whereis mysql which simply returned mysql:
- using Webmin I removed mysql from the Bootup and Shutdown list
At this point I felt that I had cleared out my installation and was ready to install the RPMs again. I did the following:
- rpm -i MySQL-client-4.0.16-0.i386.rpm which returned warning: MySQL-client-4.0.16-0.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 5072e1f5
package MySQL-client-4.0.16-0 is already installed
- rpm -i MySQL-server-4.0.16-0.i386.rpm which returned warning: MySQL-server-4.0.16-0.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 5072e1f5
package MySQL-server-4.0.16-0 is already installed
- rpm -i MySQL-shared-4.0.16-0.i386.rpm which returned warning: MySQL-shared-4.0.16-0.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 5072e1f5 (note: it did not say 'package xxxx is already installed' like the previous ones)
- rpm -i MySQL-shared-compat-4.0.16-0.i386.rpm which returned warning: MySQL-shared-compat-4.0.16-0.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 5072e1f5 (again, no 'package xxxx is already installed')
So, starting to sense that I am headed a bad direction I decided that since it said they were installed, I would do the following:
- rpm -e MySQL-shared-compat-4.0.16-0.i386.rpm which returned error: package MySQL-shared-compat-4.0.16-0.i386.rpm is not installed
- rpm -e MySQL-shared-4.0.16-0.i386.rpm which returned error: package MySQL-shared-4.0.16-0.i386.rpm is not installed
- rpm -e MySQL-server-4.0.16-0.i386.rpm which returned error: package MySQL-server-4.0.16-0.i386.rpm is not installed
- rpm -e MySQL-client-4.0.16-0.i386.rpm which returned error: package MySQL-client-4.0.16-0.i386.rpm is not installed
So... I am now obviously stuck somewhere between installed and uninstalled and honestly don't have a freaking clue what to do. I realize this is a lot of reading, but I just wanted to be as detailed as possible in hopes that someone could possibly tell me where I went wrong and how to recover.
Any advice would be wholly appreciated. Thanks in advance.