Unable to run Tomcat 5.5.9 on Fedora core 4
I need help configuring my tomcat installation on my newly installed Fedora core 4. I have removed Tomcat installation that came with core 4 and I took the following steps to install Tomcat 5.5.9 on my box.
1) unpacked Tomcat distribution in /usr/local/<tomcat_5.5.9>
2) Created a user and group with name "tomcat"
2.a) chown -R tomcat:tomcat <tomcat_5.5.9>
3) created symbolic link for /usr/local/<tomcat_5.5.9> to /usr/local/tomcat
4) created CATALINA_HOME, JAVA_HOME, JRE_HOME and varified their existence by echoing their values
5) Now, when I fire this off /usr/local/tomcat/bin/startup.sh, it displays the following information:
nothing serious tho
Then system returns to the command prompt.
6) when I try to access localhost:8080 through firefox it displays "connection refuse" message
Is there a way to know if the tomcat is up and running or perhaps run startup.sh in debug mode (it is not logging anything useful under <tomcat>/log dir).
What else do I have to do to make Tomcat run? Please help.