LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 05-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
DavidPS3
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Distribution: Yellowdog 6.1
Posts: 14

Rep: Reputation: 0
Unable to install Flash to ydl 6.1 on PS3


Hello everybody,

I am very new to this so please excuse my ignorance.
I have finally installed ydl 6.1 onto my ps3.

1. I have updated all software
2. Flash is in installed software

My question is: How do I get Flash run?
I am new to programming and will need help with commands.

How do I change to root in terminal?

Does ydl 6.1 have drivers for Epsom SX400 printer or where can I souce one?
Thank You
 
Old 05-03-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
jdkaye
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 4,771

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hi David,
What exactly do you want flash to do? Usually it's a plugin for your browser that lets you watch videos on youtube, for example. If that's what you want then you don't have to do anything once the plugin is installed. Just point your browser at a website with flashvideos and you should be able to watch them.
cheers,
jdk
 
Old 05-03-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
DavidPS3
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Distribution: Yellowdog 6.1
Posts: 14

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
No flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkaye View Post
Hi David,
What exactly do you want flash to do? Usually it's a plugin for your browser that lets you watch videos on youtube, for example. If that's what you want then you don't have to do anything once the plugin is installed. Just point your browser at a website with flashvideos and you should be able to watch them.
cheers,
jdk
Thanks jdk
Have tried to watch videos such as youtube but nothing appears not even still image of video.
Checked package installer and flash plug in is there. I am such a newbie I need help
Thank you

Last edited by DavidPS3; 05-03-2009 at 04:32 PM.
 
Old 05-03-2009, 11:18 PM   #4
jdkaye
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 4,771

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hi David,
What browser are you using? You need to install a flash plugin for that browser and install it. You can either use a flash-plugin package provided by your distro or you can go to the adobe site and download the flash player/plugin software. The main thing is that one way or the other you wind up with a file like this:
Code:
libflashplayer.so
Then all you have to do is place that file in the correct folder. I can't tell you what that is because I don't know what browser you're using.

Quote:
How do I change to root in terminal?
In a terminal type
Code:
su
and then when prompted give the root password (not your own user password).
That's it.
Cheers,
jdk
 
Old 05-04-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
DavidPS3
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Distribution: Yellowdog 6.1
Posts: 14

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Flash plugin on Firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkaye View Post
Hi David,
What browser are you using? You need to install a flash plugin for that browser and install it. You can either use a flash-plugin package provided by your distro or you can go to the adobe site and download the flash player/plugin software. The main thing is that one way or the other you wind up with a file like this:
Code:
libflashplayer.so
Then all you have to do is place that file in the correct folder. I can't tell you what that is because I don't know what browser you're using.


In a terminal type
Code:
su
and then when prompted give the root password (not your own user password).
That's it.
Cheers,
jdk
Hi ya
Thanks for your help so far and your patience.
I am running Firefox browser and my installed flash package is flash plugin - 10.0.22.87- release 1386 - Adobe Flash Player 7.0
Now what do I do?
Thanks
David
 
Old 05-04-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
DavidPS3
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Distribution: Yellowdog 6.1
Posts: 14

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Flash Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPS3 View Post
Hi ya
Thanks for your help so far and your patience.
I am running Firefox browser and my installed flash package is flash plugin - 10.0.22.87- release 1386 - Adobe Flash Player 7.0
Now what do I do?
Thanks
David
Hello again
Have found libflashplayer.so in th tmp folder along with flashplayer- installer and are still none the wiser.
Cheers
David
 
Old 05-04-2009, 12:44 PM   #7
jdkaye
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 4,771

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hi David,
Flash Player 7.0 is VERY old. The current version is 10. You'll need to get a more up to date one. I explained how to do that in a previous post. Your only task is to place the libflashplayer.so in the correct location. If you are a single user on your system then you can place it in the ~/.mozilla/plugins folder. Be sure that any other flash-related plugins have been removed. Typing
Code:
about:plugins
in the navigation bar of firefox will indicate if you have successfully installed the plugin.
Cheers,
jdk
 
Old 05-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
DavidPS3
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Distribution: Yellowdog 6.1
Posts: 14

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Unhappy Flash trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkaye View Post
Hi David,
Flash Player 7.0 is VERY old. The current version is 10. You'll need to get a more up to date one. I explained how to do that in a previous post. Your only task is to place the libflashplayer.so in the correct location. If you are a single user on your system then you can place it in the ~/.mozilla/plugins folder. Be sure that any other flash-related plugins have been removed. Typing
Code:
about:plugins
in the navigation bar of firefox will indicate if you have successfully installed the plugin.
Cheers,
jdk
G'day again
I am so confused !
Have re-installed ydl and starting again.
I need some help with:
Do I update software package? Y/N
Do I remove/disable shockwave and gnash plugin? Y/N
How do I type in code? Do I just type as you write it? I am getting directory not found or unknown command response.
What type of flash do I install? (.YUM .rpm .tar .deb)Running Firefox 3.0.6.
Cannot find mozilla folder. How do I ?
I feel like such an idiot.
Cheers
David

Last edited by DavidPS3; 05-06-2009 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Additional information
 
Old 05-06-2009, 10:33 AM   #9
jdkaye
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 4,771

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPS3 View Post
G'day again
I am so confused !
Have re-installed ydl and starting again.
That wasn't really necessary if all you want is to get flash to work.

Quote:
I need some help with:
Do I update software package? Y/N
That would be a good idea.
Quote:
Do I remove/disable shockwave and gnash plugin? Y/N
Only if flash is not working on your browser
Quote:
How do I type in code? Do I just type as you write it? I am getting directory not found or unknown command response.
What code? What are you trying to do now?
Quote:
What type of flash do I install? (.YUM .rpm .tar .deb)Running Firefox 3.0.6.
I don't know. It depends on your system. What does ydl use? If you don't know consult the documentation on your system or else google.
Quote:
Cannot find mozilla folder. How do I ?
It's in your home folder. It is not "mozilla"! It is .mozilla. (The full-stop at the beginning is important. If your user name on your system is "david", then it is /home/david/.mozilla and you want to put the flash plugin in /home/david/.mozilla/plugins
Quote:
I feel like such an idiot.
We all do from time to time
Cheers,
jdk
 
Old 05-06-2009, 11:45 AM   #10
DavidPS3
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Distribution: Yellowdog 6.1
Posts: 14

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkaye View Post
That wasn't really necessary if all you want is to get flash to work.


That would be a good idea.

Only if flash is not working on your browser

What code? What are you trying to do now?

I don't know. It depends on your system. What does ydl use? If you don't know consult the documentation on your system or else google.

It's in your home folder. It is not "mozilla"! It is .mozilla. (The full-stop at the beginning is important. If your user name on your system is "david", then it is /home/david/.mozilla and you want to put the flash plugin in /home/david/.mozilla/plugins

We all do from time to time
Cheers,
jdk
G'day
Thank you for your help so far.
Have updated software and disabled shockwave as flash not working when trying to watch msn.com.
Looked in home folder for a mozilla folder and none there.I looked for it /desktop/computer/home and folder was empty.Do I download adobe flash 10 for linux and create folder to put it in?
My version of Firefox is 3.0.6
Mozilla/5.0 (X11;U; Linux ppc64; en-US;rv;1.9.0.6)Gecko/2009020516 Yellowdog/3.0.6-1.ydl6.1 Firefox/3.0.6
Thank you again I am so keen to learn this.
David
 
Old 05-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #11
DavidPS3
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Distribution: Yellowdog 6.1
Posts: 14

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Red face

Repeated

Last edited by DavidPS3; 05-06-2009 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Additional information
 
Old 05-06-2009, 05:00 PM   #12
DavidPS3
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Distribution: Yellowdog 6.1
Posts: 14

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
[QUOTE=DavidPS3;3532464][QUOTE=DavidPS3;3532301]G'day
Thank you for your help so far.
Have updated software and disabled shockwave as flash not working when trying to watch msn.com.
Looked in home folder for a mozilla folder and none there.I looked for it /desktop/computer/home and folder was empty.Do I download adobe flash 10 for linux and create folder to put it in?
My version of Firefox is 3.0.6
Mozilla/5.0 (X11;U; Linux ppc64; en-US;rv;1.9.0.6)Gecko/2009020516 Yellowdog/3.0.6-1.ydl6.1 Firefox/3.0.6
This is what I put in terminal:[DAVID@localhost ~]$ aboutlugins
ENTER
This is answer:[DAVID@localhost ~]$ aboutlugins
bash: aboutlugins: command not found
[DAVID@localhost ~]$ .
Am I doing something wrong or is something missing?
Cheers
David
 
Old 05-07-2009, 08:03 AM   #13
jdkaye
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 4,771

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
[QUOTE=DavidPS3;3532625][QUOTE=DavidPS3;3532464]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPS3 View Post
This is what I put in terminal:[DAVID@localhost ~]$ aboutlugins
ENTER
This is answer:[DAVID@localhost ~]$ aboutlugins
bash: aboutlugins: command not found
[DAVID@localhost ~]$
Am I doing something wrong or is something missing?
Cheers
David
Yes, you are certainly doing something wrong. I wrote
Typing

Code:
about:plugins
in the navigation bar of firefox will indicate if you have successfully installed the plugin.
You are typing it as a command in a terminal. Do you understand "navigation bar of firefox"?
I said
Quote:
It's in your home folder. It is not "mozilla"! It is .mozilla. (The full-stop at the beginning is important. If your user name on your system is "david", then it is /home/david/.mozilla and you want to put the flash plugin in /home/david/.mozilla/plugins
and you looked in
Quote:
I looked for it /desktop/computer/home and folder was empty.Do I download adobe flash 10 for linux and create folder to put it in?
Do you know what your "home folder" is? You are not following the directions I've sent you so of course nothing is working.

jdk

Last edited by jdkaye; 05-07-2009 at 08:11 AM.
 
Old 05-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #14
DavidPS3
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Distribution: Yellowdog 6.1
Posts: 14

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
[QUOTE=jdkaye;3533315][QUOTE=DavidPS3;3532625]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPS3 View Post

Yes, you are certainly doing something wrong. I wrote
Typing

Code:
about:plugins
in the navigation bar of firefox will indicate if you have successfully installed the plugin.
You are typing it as a command in a terminal. Do you understand "navigation bar of firefox"?
I said
and you looked in
Do you know what your "home folder" is? You are not following the directions I've sent you so of course nothing is working.

jdk
Hello again
Sorry to be a pain. I must need more clear instructions as I seem to not be able to do anything right.
Where is "navigation bar of firefox" located? How do I find it?
Is my "home folder" the one in the file system under computer icon?
When typing I need to know where.
Once again I am sorry but I did warn you I am such a newbie.
Thank you
David
 
Old 05-08-2009, 11:22 PM   #15
jdkaye
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 4,771

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
[QUOTE=DavidPS3;3534894][QUOTE=jdkaye;3533315]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPS3 View Post
Hello again
Sorry to be a pain. I must need more clear instructions as I seem to not be able to do anything right.
Where is "navigation bar of firefox" located? How do I find it?
Is my "home folder" the one in the file system under computer icon?
When typing I need to know where.
Once again I am sorry but I did warn you I am such a newbie.
Thank you
David
The navigation bar of the browser is where you type the address of a website, aka the url of a website. If you are browsing the LinuxQuestions.org site then it's where you see So if you want to know what plugins are installed then erase the http://www... stuff in the browser navigation bar and type
Code:
about:plugins
instead.

Open a terminal and type
Code:
whoami
your home folder is /home/{the result of typing whoami in a terminal}
On a file manager it is typically represented by a picture of a house.

If you are looking for a folder to unpack the flash plugin then /tmp is a good choice.

I hope this is a bit clearer now.

I would strongly suggest you click on the linuxquestion menu item "Tutorials" and read some of them.
Cheers,
jdk
 
  


Reply

Tags
flash, ps3, ydl


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unable to setup wifi on YDL 6.0 on PS3 podge_y2k1 Linux - Newbie 2 01-07-2009 02:05 PM
Re-Install YDL 6 on PS3??? Vizion1982 Linux - Newbie 2 12-10-2008 01:05 PM
Cant install YDL 5.2 on ps3 SDTV YDLfaN Linux - Newbie 0 03-04-2008 06:46 PM
PS3/YDL/Page stuck during install derekd18 Linux - Newbie 1 01-16-2008 01:56 PM
How do you install VLC or Mplayer on YDL 5.0 PS3? sphanlon Linux - Software 6 01-18-2007 01:45 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration