LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Software (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/)
-   -   unable to download videos from youtube-dl (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/unable-to-download-videos-from-youtube-dl-4175432166/)

Xlr_Prahlad 10-14-2012 12:23 PM

unable to download videos from youtube-dl
 
when i use youtube-dl to download youtube videos , youtube-dl trows up an error - "ERROR: unable to download video" i have already update it , but it dosent helped ... any help plzzz...:(

dru8274 10-14-2012 11:01 PM

Perhaps you could provide us with the specific youtube-dl command plus options that has failed for you. Elsewise, we cannot triage your problem. Also, did you install youtube-dl through your distro's package manager, or as a python script from github?

I often use youtube-dl with the --format (-f) option, to download video of a specific resolution. But if that specific format isn't available, then it just errors out.

etech3 10-14-2012 11:26 PM

Upgrade youtube-dl
Code:

youtube-dl -u
Then try to download

just my :twocents:

pwalden 10-15-2012 10:58 AM

You could also try get_flash_videos. I prefer this tool as it also handles a broad number of other video sources: hulu, ustream, PBS, NASA, etc

Download the latest git version to make sure you get the latest site support. Note: hulu support requires an additional plugin download. You will also need the latest version of rtmpdump for some sites, such as hulu.

Xlr_Prahlad 10-15-2012 08:34 PM

thnx dru8274 for ur reply ...
i actualy used ....
youtube-dl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUh32...eature=g-all-u

den error comes up like dat

ERROR: unable to download video
^C
[1]+ Exit 1 youtube-dl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUh32QyPEj8

Xlr_Prahlad 10-15-2012 08:38 PM

Sorry etech3 i tried to download after upgrade it ,
but it again throws the same error

amani 10-15-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xlr_Prahlad (Post 4806620)
Sorry etech3 i tried to download after upgrade it ,
but it again throws the same error

Throw it out and put in the latest. Your distro may not have the latest. It is a cat and mouse game.

dru8274 10-15-2012 10:00 PM

I did try out your youtube-dl command, and it downloaded okay here. So your copy of youtube-dl seems to be buggy. I did once install youtube-dl from the debian repos, but then there were errors. So I reinstalled youtube-dl manually from github here, and it has worked perfectly since.

My current youtube-dl version is listed below. If your youtube-dl is upgraded to the latest, then I imagine it will say the same too.
Code:

$ youtube-dl --version
2012.10.09

Happy with ur solution... then tick "yes" and mark as Solved!

etech3 10-16-2012 12:16 AM

I tend to pull from the Debian testing repos.

Code:

youtube-dl --version
2012.10.09

no problems here.

Xlr_Prahlad 10-16-2012 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amani (Post 4806625)
Throw it out and put in the latest. Your distro may not have the latest. It is a cat and mouse game.

M using ubutu 12.04 n used tu updgarde it regularly..

Xlr_Prahlad 10-16-2012 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dru8274 (Post 4806658)
I did try out your youtube-dl command, and it downloaded okay here. So your copy of youtube-dl seems to be buggy. I did once install youtube-dl from the debian repos, but then there were errors. So I reinstalled youtube-dl manually from github here, and it has worked perfectly since.

My current youtube-dl version is listed below. If your youtube-dl is upgraded to the latest, then I imagine it will say the same too.
Code:

$ youtube-dl --version
2012.10.09

Happy with ur solution... then tick "yes" and mark as Solved!

thanx dru8274
my erliar version was 2012.09.27 smthing , but after upgrading to 2012.10.09 it working perfectly..


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 AM.