Well, I had figured that it would be a problem with my codecs, as my mpegs were playing just fine. I don't like to think of myself as a complete linux newbie, but judging from the bulk of my questions one would wonder. I ran mplayer in command line, and saw that it told me to try and update my user codec.conf file, which I did. Still no luck.
With a little digging around I reallized that the win32 codec rpm I was using left the codecs with root only permisions. I gave broad user permissions to the codecs and problem solved.
As I said before thanks for all of the help that everybody so kindly shares here. This has got to be the best site of it's kind. I have been using linux off and on for 4 years, and steadily for the past year. I only found this site 3 months ago and have found it to be an invaluable asset. Anybody who's helped me and finds themselves around Stuttgart Germany has earned themselves a free beer :-) Thanks