LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-22-2001, 06:21 PM   #1
Kzin
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2001
Distribution: SuSE 7.1
Posts: 52

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question Triple Boot Linux/Win2K/Win98 problem




I've move from a dual boot Windows 2K/Linux setup to a W2K/98 (so as to support legacy hardware drivers) and am trying to install a Linux partition (possibly with Lilo on a floppy in case if I can't get it onto the MBR) . Problem is I can't even get to stage one - I can't get the system to boot from the Linux DVD (SuSE 7.1) so I can't even get to the first stage for this. I've set the boot order in the bios but no luck. Any idea why?

 
Old 07-26-2001, 03:48 PM   #2
Kzin
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2001
Distribution: SuSE 7.1
Posts: 52

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Unhappy


Last edited by Kzin; 07-26-2001 at 06:51 PM.
 
Old 07-26-2001, 03:59 PM   #3
trickykid
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2001
Posts: 24,149

Rep: Reputation: 234Reputation: 234Reputation: 234
Could be a bad cd. Have you tried maybe a boot floppy to start off with instead of a cd?
 
Old 07-26-2001, 06:51 PM   #4
Kzin
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2001
Distribution: SuSE 7.1
Posts: 52

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by trickykid
Could be a bad cd. Have you tried maybe a boot floppy to start off with instead of a cd?
Yes - just tried and that was it! Thanks
 
Old 07-27-2001, 11:13 PM   #5
Steave
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2001
Location: Braunschweig, Germany
Distribution: Suse 7.2
Posts: 184

Rep: Reputation: 30
For the future:

Did you have "try other boot devices" enabled in the BIOS? I had this setting ignoring any other boot devices than the harddisk in my system before...
 
Old 07-31-2001, 05:53 PM   #6
Kzin
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2001
Distribution: SuSE 7.1
Posts: 52

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by Steave
For the future:

Did you have "try other boot devices" enabled in the BIOS? I had this setting ignoring any other boot devices than the harddisk in my system before...
Yes - I tried each logical combination their before I posted - thanks
 
Old 07-31-2001, 06:16 PM   #7
Kzin
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2001
Distribution: SuSE 7.1
Posts: 52

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Ok - slightly cheeky question on a Linux forum - anyone know (or have a good URL for it) how the set up the W2K boot managerto recognise my Linux installation so that don't have to boot off the floppy? BTW all three partitions seem to work fine at present.
 
Old 08-03-2001, 07:36 AM   #8
Kzin
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2001
Distribution: SuSE 7.1
Posts: 52

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by Kzin
Ok - slightly cheeky question on a Linux forum - anyone know (or have a good URL for it) how the set up the W2K boot managerto recognise my Linux installation so that don't have to boot off the floppy? BTW all three partitions seem to work fine at present.
Funnily enough looking on MSDN Microsoft are not too keen to tell you how to do this either!
 
Old 08-03-2001, 10:33 AM   #9
chekov
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2001
Location: vienna, aut
Distribution: mandrake 8.0 (soon!)
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by Kzin

Funnily enough looking on MSDN Microsoft are not too keen to tell you how to do this either!
that would probably be a case for littlewhitedog - www.littlewhitedog.com, thereīs a sort of manual on how to set up the w2k bootloader to handle the dual boot - should work for triple boot as well, i guess. itīs under reviews -> other.
cheers all
chekov
 
Old 08-03-2001, 02:48 PM   #10
Kzin
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2001
Distribution: SuSE 7.1
Posts: 52

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by chekov


that would probably be a case for littlewhitedog - www.littlewhitedog.com, thereīs a sort of manual on how to set up the w2k bootloader to handle the dual boot - should work for triple boot as well, i guess. itīs under reviews -> other.
cheers all
chekov
Thanks - just what I needed
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
triple boot suse9.1 fedora 2 win2k problem rusty_slacker SUSE / openSUSE 6 11-02-2004 02:30 PM
Triple Boot - Win2K, Suse Linux & my own linux pavkb Linux - General 2 09-29-2003 09:57 AM
triple boot win98/win2k/linux problems kerbewm Linux - Software 4 04-08-2002 09:43 AM
Triple Booting - Win2k, Win98 & Mandrake 8 MKsami Linux - Software 4 01-15-2002 10:57 PM
Triple Boot: Win2k/linux/win98 mkhan Linux - Software 2 07-24-2001 10:45 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration