Thanks to all for the quick responses. Much appreciated.
In answer to your respective Q&A's.
1) Current notebook hardware does not allow latest MS offer and no longer interested in MS, its products, generaly working with the OS or shelling out within a year for replacement equipment.
2) Fed up with labour intensive administration and annoying OS and software behaviour despite a comprehensive admin of my OS. Having worked 8 years in IT, 5 years IT related and no longer working or wishing to work in that environment (mainly support based, home user hardware, networking, printing,1,2,3rd line and subcontractor support, etc)
3) I am a user and require my computer and software to be a tool for what I wish to accumplish and not an expensive burden as I am a non commercial home user.
4) I will no longer be making fancy Flash sites or general web pages and want to focus on my authoring, photo art retouching and of course personal home computer media entertainment.
5) During my IT working life I have installed and partially used, Red Hat, SuSE, Mandrake and a couple of others I can not recall; though it was some years ago.
6) I have noted gradual advances in application type, features, availability and the changing user friendly face of the OS, aside from the generally inspiring Linux community.
Given the time and opportunity I hope to contribute in some small way from a user testing perspective on products I am likely to use.
Thanks once again.