LinuxQuestions.org
Support LQ: Use code LQ3 and save $3 on Domain Registration
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 04-21-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
wfc2023
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Location: a-town
Distribution: ubuntu 6.06, 7.04; Debian Etch
Posts: 15

Rep: Reputation: 0
Three huge problems i really need help with, Ubuntu 6.06, acer aspire 9500


I have Ubunut 6.06

number one
i tried to install opera a few days ago and that did not work, something about a software channel, but since then, apt-get and synaptic both say whenever i do anything at all "the package opera needs to be reinstalled, but i cannot find a package for it" even if i do something that has nothing to do with opera, nothing at all will install or remove, synaptic and apt-get are broken and i have no idea why

number two
i cannot write to any portable media except single layer cds
dvds will only mount read only, even if they are blank
Usb drives will only mount read only
portable hard drives will only mount read only
I have no idea how to fix it, but when i tr to write the only error i get is "error, could not write to drive "system:/media/sda1" or whatever the address is
i need to be able to write things because i am trying to switch to Kubuntu 7.04

Number three
Kubuntu live CD will not work
i click, "start or install in safe graphics mode" or "start or install Kubuntu" and they both start to boot up, but after the bootsplash is done it just goes to a black screen with a cursor flashing in the top, i tried typing in startx and reconfiguring the xserver liek i had to do before, but no matter what i type and enter it just goes down to the second line with nothing happening

My computer works as it is, but it feels like if i cant fix any of these it will be permanently stuck in a state of perpetual mediocrity

any help would be greatly appreciated
 
Old 04-22-2007, 04:30 AM   #2
Simon Bridge
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Waiheke NZ
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 9,211

Rep: Reputation: 197Reputation: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfc2023
I have Ubunut 6.06

number one
i tried to install opera a few days ago and that did not work, something about a software channel, but since then, apt-get and synaptic both say whenever i do anything at all "the package opera needs to be reinstalled, but i cannot find a package for it" even if i do something that has nothing to do with opera, nothing at all will install or remove, synaptic and apt-get are broken and i have no idea why
sudo dpkg reconfigure synaptic
Quote:
number two
i cannot write to any portable media except single layer cds
dvds will only mount read only, even if they are blank
Usb drives will only mount read only
portable hard drives will only mount read only
I have no idea how to fix it, but when i tr to write the only error i get is "error, could not write to drive "system:/media/sda1" or whatever the address is
i need to be able to write things because i am trying to switch to Kubuntu 7.04
Has this always been this way or has this just occurred? Have a look at /etc/fstab and show us. (Thinks: CD/DVD drive is usually /media/cdrom0)
Quote:
Number three
Kubuntu live CD will not work
i click, "start or install in safe graphics mode" or "start or install Kubuntu" and they both start to boot up, but after the bootsplash is done it just goes to a black screen with a cursor flashing in the top, i tried typing in startx and reconfiguring the xserver liek i had to do before, but no matter what i type and enter it just goes down to the second line with nothing happening
You had this before? (i.e. black screen + cursor and you had to type startx - when booting the ubuntu 6.06 CD.) Have you tried the alternate CD? Have you tried the boot options?
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will Debian run on my Laptop, Acer Aspire 9500 wfc2023 Linux - Laptop and Netbook 2 04-18-2007 12:17 PM
Will Debian run on my Laptop, Acer Aspire 9500 wfc2023 Debian 1 04-16-2007 06:01 PM
Help with my screen brightness, Acer aspire 9500 Ubuntu 6.06 wfc2023 Linux - Laptop and Netbook 4 03-19-2007 07:07 PM
Ubuntu trouble on Acer Aspire 5021 djepix Linux - Laptop and Netbook 1 01-26-2007 10:06 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration