OK, first of all, he was using the test version of 2.6.0 and I'm using 2.6.3 stable.
Second, I had a lot of trouble doing it at first as well, however, it was entirly my own fault. I didn't configure it right. When I had configured it correctly it worked better than anything else I tried.
And by "correctly" I mean that I didn't include the device drivers for some of my hardware and I kept the 1394 firewire support. Linux doesn't like 1394 firewire ATM. So, I disable that, enable all my hardware drivers, uncheck all the experimental and development features, then
make modules_install install
and reboot. That's it. Linux laptop working fine. The place where I got myself into trouble was with disableing Kudzu. I compiled the firewire out of the kernel, enabled it again, and now it works fine. I just thought there was some other side effects to leaving kudzu on (like trying to load the firewire anyway), but there wasn't.