Linux - SoftwareThis forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I have Red Hat 7.1 and yesterday I ran update agent to update my system. Everything went alright but I noticed a change in the behavior in my volume control.
Prior to update 50% on the master control ment 50% output volume. In other words it felt linear.
After update the volume has a logarithmic feel, 50% output is in the uppermost part of the volume control. This makes the volume control less useable since most of the space on the lever leaves almost no output at all.
Any idea why? Can it be a change in sound card drivers?
Master volume, pcm seems more linear.
Yesterday I tried to install ALSA-drivers, but didn't get the settings correct.
The esd didn't start when logging in to Gnome, also two warnings apeared. Something like "can't access /dev/mixer".
Part of my /etc/modules.conf
alias char-major-195 nvidia
alias sound-slot-0 emu10k1
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
also there seem to be a high pitch distorsion sound when playing sound through pcm, wav/mp3. CD plays withour distorsion.
I tried to use this configuration stolen from another web-page.
# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-emu10k1
options snd-card-emu10k1 snd_dac_frame_size=128 snd_adc_frame_size=64
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
It seems to work, acceppt for that the computer thinks it's a cirruslogic card when I know it is a Creative soundblaster live.
i had that problem with swapping windows
minimizing and restoring them
by the way this happened with XMMS
what i had to do was go into preferences
and in outpug plug in
i picked OSS Driver 1.2.7 [libOSS.so]