Strange filename - rtorrent unable to create a file
you know how strange can be filenames in torrents - if you don't know look at thepiratebay.
After opening a torrent the rtorrent program was unable to activate downloading because of missing file. At first I thought it is a bug in the torrent file. But then I realized that it may be a problem with creating a file due to its strange name - indeed when I created manually the needed files the torrent started.
The question is: the restriction for a filename comes from the rtorrent itself or it is due to the bash limits? Or rather the system limits - a low-level system call procedure is able to create only files with names which meet some requirements? So, it causes an exception and it seems unhandled by rtorrent? How to figure out this? How I can find why rtorrent is unable to create a file?
Later is better than never
I just ran into the same problem as you, with a Raspberry Pi downloading torrents to an external USB thumbdrive (formatted with FAT). The problem of the "missing file" is because of strange characters in the filename (like é or ñ or other non-English characters).
The solution for me was to mount the USB drive correctly, something like:
If you're using an NTFS or other non-native filesystem, the codepage will also be an issue, so the solution should be very similar to what I have posted here.
I'm aware that my post is like 3 years late, but I just ran into this problem, and this was one of the first results, so I'll post the solution I found here for any other person who may run into the same problem.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 AM.|