LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2007, 08:42 PM   #1
saurar
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
Software for an advertising screen


I am looking for software to run on a machine used to display videos and advertisements. Now I can play videos using mplayer, xine or vlc but the requirement needs to show messages at the bottom of the screen. The messages are scrolling text or small images, similar to what they show in BBC news.

Also I will have to play flash files. So I am thinking of using firefox for that.

Ideally I would like to have software which divides the screen into different blocks and show different programs in each of the block.

Is there any software to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Saura
 
Old 11-14-2007, 08:59 PM   #2
FraGGod
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Location: Yekaterinburg, RU
Distribution: gentoo
Posts: 59

Rep: Reputation: 16
Yeah, there are such programs, most people call them "Window Managers"
Try ratpoison - it won't draw any window headers or borders - just split your screen between different windows of any size.
 
Old 11-15-2007, 12:48 AM   #3
saurar
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Posts: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thanks for the solution. But for me the issue is, I cant position the windows manually all the time. So I have to write some scripts to start up the programs, when the system boots. Can I save the settings such that when I start mplayer1 it occupies the top 90% of the screen. When I run mplayer2 it should occupy the remaining 10%. Is something like this possible?

Once again thanks for your reply.
 
Old 11-15-2007, 05:17 AM   #4
FraGGod
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Location: Yekaterinburg, RU
Distribution: gentoo
Posts: 59

Rep: Reputation: 16
You don't have to worry about windows' size and position because in ratpoison you have screen divided into non-overlapping frames (well, you divide it into frames as you see fit) and any window launched in them occupies whole frame if it's capable of resizing at all.
You can also use command like 'ratpoison -c fdump > $HOME/.ratdump_$1', it'll dump all windows' frames and frames' layout to a file, and restore it at any time with 'ratpoison -c "frestore `cat $HOME/.ratdump_$1`"' so any launched windows 'll take the same position and size as they were when dumped.
 
Old 11-15-2007, 10:18 AM   #5
simonpcfrost
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
In my tiny mind I see a series of framed html pages.

Too easy?

-sf
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
installing screen(http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/) dreamlemon Solaris / OpenSolaris 5 09-29-2007 03:36 PM
Advertising, etc. pixellany LQ Suggestions & Feedback 3 03-06-2007 12:00 PM
Attempted advertising ... jarrell Linux - Newbie 1 06-27-2006 01:28 PM
advertising chrismiceli LQ Suggestions & Feedback 2 01-20-2003 09:47 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration