Linux - SoftwareThis forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
can anyone help me with my motorola sm56 pci modem? it's a software modem (winmodem) with drivers that were tested on a red hat 7.1 with kernel 2.4.x, but i'm using mandrake 8.1.
i installed the rpm, and thought that everything will then work out fine, but when i query the modem, kde shows an error window "modem is busy or not responding" or something like that. i really don't know anything about setting up this modem because the last distro i used was a red hat 5.2, and i was using a 22.8 ext modem then.
can anyone help me? does anyone have experience or has encountered and overcome this problem?
i'm really desperate, please help. it's hard running from winxp pro to mandrake 8.1 to just download some important stuff or to just browse the web.
I would dump the win modem. They are trouble even within the windows environment. Win NT doesn't work with them worth a toot reliably. They aren't actually modems at all but rather only an interface between the telephone line and the computer. All the actual modem functions are handled by software and processed by your system processor. I promise you'll be glad you dumped it.
I'v recognised the same problem. I also use Mandrake 8.1 and Motorola sm56 modem and also doesn't work form me.
I checked some internet documentation and find out these:
The problem is probably in KERNEL VERSION.
The driver claims to work with 2.4.xxx kernels - but only with some versions of them!!!!
Problems appears with versions 2.4.7+
...and Mandrake uses 2.4.8
Users with Mandrake 8.0 (kernel 2.4.3 ?) reported that it works for them.
One of them reported problem apperars after upgrading to 8.1
I'v tried also to use today newest kernel 2.4.17, self-compiled, but it also doesn't work.
After command 'modprobe sm56' appears SEGSEGV error and 'lsmod' still wrote out 'sm56 (initialising)'
I'm going to self-compile kernel 2.4.3 (or 6) now and try it with this bloody driver, (I'll make alternative boot entry for lilo - only for web-surfing
...until Motorola releases better one!
I'm not to used to getting modems to work under Linux, but I configured the Winmodem on my laptop with an RH7.1 RPM on Mandrake 8.0. When I went to try it, right after I got the modules loaded and the output of dmesg seemed that everything got recognized fine, suing kpppd or whatever the KDE dialer was... I got that same message. It turned out it was querying the wrong device. Try them all... I can't remember which ones, but that was my problem.
yes, It works! I'm using it just now.
As I promised, I'v tried use the older kernel 2.4.3 instead of default 2.4.8 (included in Mandrake 8.1) or the newvest one, the 2.4.17 kernel.
I simply compile the downloaded kernel 2.4.3 (from ftp.kernel.org), set up via 'make xconfig' as suggested in manual (I know about excelent one, but it's in czech language, on www.root.cz
..and I can celebrate the success!
Everything looks working after this 'downgrade', music plays, KDE, X server, xdefsd, video player (mplayer, even configured for 2.4.17 kernel and also self compiled I can suggest this player to everybody!)
The problem is really in communication between newest kernels and the 'sm56' driver. I don't know, which side fails (I suppose the driver Until Motorola releases some new stuff, this is pobably the only way!