Related to my issue, I was attempting to use srvtools.exe which decompresses to SvrMgr.exe and usrmgr.exe. These two little progs are nice and handy if you just want to add a user or change their group really quick from a windows box on the network.
Well, everytime I would start one of these programs it would stall for about a minute and then complain about not being able to connect to the domain. It would ask if I wanted to select a different domain to work with. I would enter the name of my domain and be on my way.
Well... I got nosey. I am using tdbsam backend for my passdb. I was checking out some of the users by doing:
and getting output like:
Unix username: root
Account Flags: [U ]
User SID: S-1-5-21-3186852441-2316212002-2913414458-1000
Primary Group SID: S-1-5-21-3186852441-2316212002-2913414458-513
Full Name: root
HomeDir Drive: H:
Logon Script: logon.bat
Logon time: 0
Logoff time: Sat, 06 Feb 2106 22:28:15 PST
Kickoff time: 0
Password last set: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 23:38:28 PDT
Password can change: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 23:38:28 PDT
Password must change: Sat, 06 Feb 2106 22:28:15 PST
Last bad password : 0
Bad password count : 0
Logon hours : FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
That's when I noticed that under Domain was INTRANET. Originally I was naming the server CPS_SERVER, and finding a ghost network called DEBIAN, then I changed some stuff around and was calling it just SERVER and getting a ghost of INTRANET. I went through a few iterations with different configurations...
Well it seems that when I created the user names they were getting the Domain of whatever was the Domain at the time, so when I changed domains they were still holding on to the (old) original Domain name.
I used pdbedit to change all the users to the correct domain - now there is no more problems.
pdbedit -I <domain name> <username>