Wow. My first post. Okay, everyone.. anyone who's had this problem has probably gone completely bonkers over it. I know I have.. I've read solutions that worked on Slackware or whatever.. but none of them would work for me in my beloved Mandrake 9.1 environment. And then all of a sudden it worked.
On your Maya CD in the support directory there is more than just openmotif.. there is also a libGLU.so file. On Mandrake 9.1 the file you need to replace is located in /usr/X11R6/lib/libGLU.so.1.3.500.
Okay so everything that I've done so far (I don't have the time to restore my system so I can make sure that replacing libGLU is the only thing that did it) is right here:
I read through a GIGANTIC thread on the topic from back in January started by Faeroon. You can find that topic here:
(url deleted because apparently I need 5 posts to post a URL.. what's up with that mods? if I had to guess, I'd say that something nasty having to do with goat fornication is the reason -- anyway just take any showthread.php URL and change the threadid to 40371)
I pretty much just followed the library stuff cuz I was pretty sure that the problem was library related. Basically this involved adding /usr/aw/maya5.0/lib and /usr/aw/COM/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and running ldconfig.
ANYWAY in the support folder there is a libGLU.so file. Make a backup of your current library file by copying it into your home dir or something:
cp /usr/X11R6/lib/libGLU.so.1.3.500 ~
Now, as root, copy the libGLU.so from the cd over the file you just backed up:
cp libGLU.so /usr/X11R6/lib/libGLU.so.1.3.500
That is what did it for me. Apparently the GLU I had installed was not maya compatible. I sure wish large companies like Alias would spend a little extra time to include beneficial bug reporting.
Anyway I hope this helps someone out there who is running Mandrake 9.1 with an ATI Radeon and a 3rd party 3D driver.
BTW the driver I used can be downloaded at
(yet another URL deleted. search google for glx1_linux_X4.3.zip)