Finally, after 2 wks of bs and confusion/frustration...
I don't really know what happened here. But I've got this working now.
This is all that I did.
I went to http://gaim.sourceforge.net
and downloaded gaim-0.67 tar.gz to my home directory.
Logged into the command line as root into the /hom/<usre> directory
tar -zxvf <gaim file.tar.gz>
Cd'ed into the gaim-0.67 directory.
Then ./configure (which actually ran without errors this time) then "make" (which took acoulple of minutes, but ran with out errors), then "make install".
To start gaim I had to goto /usr/local/bin/ and then once there typed ./gaim
The client started up and and all I had to do was put in the protocol that I was using (yahoo) my logon email name and password and away I went. Works flawlessly..
And I don't know what the difference was between the gaim 0.66.tar.gz and gaim 0.67.tar.gz, but obviously there was something wrong.
I didn't need any GTK or GLIB...all of this was already installed.
I'm definitely switching to Gentoo Linux after I get a little familar with linux in general. This will have you compile everything from the source starting from the Kernel to what apps you want to install. Then I can allways be sure that (if the source code isn't screwed) that when I intall from source that it's platform independent and seems to put/make files/directories in a uniform standard. It seems that rpms deviate from this compared to installing from the source..
Hope this helps.