Linux - SoftwareThis forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I was running RH8 and I have a script to mount certain directories of a WinNT box to certain mount points. Everything worked fine until I "upgraded" to RH9. Now when I run the script it will die at various places and I have to run the mounts one at a time. I would run the script a boot so that the mounts would reattach in the event of a power failure. Life was good now it's just a pain in the a.s.s. Thinking of going back to RH8 .
Anybody else have or heard of this?
just to add, if u "upgraded" in the true sense of the word to red hat 9 using the upgrade feature, then you are asking for problems, if you did a clean install you would likely eliminate a lot of your concerns.
let's hope u created some separate primary home and usr partitions, lol.
Well the "upgrade" as I called it was a complete reinstall (I never use anybodys upgrade). The problem happens anytime, ie.. running a script or running a single command in the terminal. Sometimes it works and somtimes it don't. I am starting to believe it may have something to do with the depth of the directories on the NT box though I still have an rH8 box this all works fine on. I have another box with RH9 that I just tried this on last night and I have the same problem.
Forgot, is your resolv.conf right? I have had some distros that that never set it up right at install and I had to do it manually. If you don't have the serach mydomain.com in it, it will cause you problems too.
Cooner, I had the same exact problem you are talking about when I went from 8 to 9.
here ya go!
mount -t smbfs -o username=thisuser,password=userpass //poweredge/mc_reports$ /var/www/html/midco/reports
mount -t smbfs -o username=thisuser,password=userpass //poweredge/mc_lode$ /var/www/html/midco/lodedata
mount -t smbfs -o username=thisuser,password=userpass //poweredge/Midcont$ /var/www/html/midco/drawings
mount -t smbfs -o username=thisuser,password=userpass //misc001/midco_images$ /var/www/html/midco/images
mount -t smbfs -o username=thisuser,password=userpass //poweredge/uscable_dwg$ /var/www/html/uscable/drawings
mount -t smbfs -o username=thisuser,password=userpass //poweredge/us_reports$ /var/www/html/uscable/reports
mount -t smbfs -o username=thisuser,password=userpass //misc001/uscable_images$ /var/www/html/uscable/images
mount -t smbfs -o username=thisuser,password=userpass //poweredge/savage$ /var/www/html/sci/drawings
mount -t smbfs -o username=thisuser,password=userpass //poweredge/sv_reports$ /var/www/html/sci/reports
Try doing this:
mount -t smbfs -o username=thisuser,password=userpass //poweredge/mc_reports$/ /var/www/html/midco/reports
Make sure you put a slash after the $, thats what ended up fixing the majority of the issues that I had, Also try adding a sleep 1 command betwwen them. They might be getting the signals hung up on the NT box.